Gator Attack

Charles threw his shoulder into the door once more, and the wood splintered and gave way.

"Octavia!" He shouted.

The room was filled with smoke.

The outer wall was entirely gone, and the crumbled pieces that remained were scorched and smelled of gunpowder.

His heart thudded against his ribs.
William stumbled in after him and grabbed his shoulder.

"My man had already taken her outside, you fool," he coughed.

Too relieved to argue, Charles helped William out through the gaping hole in the opposite wall as voices shouted in the hall behind them. Lafitte's men had entered the building.

"What happened?" Charles asked as he helped the injured William into the dank alley.

"Ambush," William winced as his bloodied arm bumped against the rough stone wall of the neighboring building.

They rounded the corner and came face to face with Bloody Benny, an unconscious Octavia in his arms.

Charles swung his free fist at the pirate, catching him on the chin.

Bloody Benny stumbled back, Octavia slipping in his grip.

"Stop it," William snapped, coming between them. "Mr. Churchfall is with me."

Charles glared at the pirate, but there was no time to argue. He took Octavia from Benny's arms and looked around as Lafitte's men shouted again inside the house, their voices near the front entrance.

"They're following Captain Hillington and the Commodore," William guessed.

"They'll find us soon," Bloody Benny said, wrapping William's uninjured arm around his shoulder. "Follow me."

Charles hesitated, but one look at Octavia's pale face, and he knew he had no choice.

They stumbled through the sewage- soaked alley, keeping their heads low.

Octavia stirred in his arms.

"Hush," he whispered, pressing his lips to her forehead. "Don't make a sound."

She bit down on her lip as if a wave of pain was washing over her.

Her courage was comforting, and he loved her all the more for it.

The alleyway ended, and they were trapped against the shore of the lagoon.

"My men have a boat just behind that clump of mangrove trees. We'll have to swim to meet them."

"They aren't loyal enough to row out to get you?" Charles scoffed.

"Money buys arms, not hearts," Bloody Benny snapped, his sniveling accent completely gone. "We swim."

"What about the alligators?" William asked, eyeing the water warily.
It was the first time Charles had ever seen a flicker of fear on the face of his childhood friend.

"Swim faster," Charles said grimly.

Octavia pressed her hand over her lips and stared up at him, her eyes questioning.

He paused just long enough to lean his forehead against hers, soaking in the sensation of her safely in his arms.

Then he pulled away and hoisted her higher onto his shoulder. With that, he trudged into the murky lagoon.

Bloody Benny and William followed close behind.

"Over there!" A voice shouted from behind them.

Charles glanced over his shoulder just long enough to see several pirates standing on the shore, guns and swords raised.