Sweating & Drinking

"How aren't you literally a puddle right now?" Hailee blurted out as I accepted her FaceTime call. LA had been unbearably hot the past day or so, hotter than the devils ass. Thankfully I'm on my last couple of hours of my shift before clocking off, I just have to last till 6PM, so only like five hours. Totally doable. Even if I have to do it dripping in sweat. Sexy.

"You can only see the top half of me. Below the waist is just a puddle." I groan out before pausing to rethink my words. "Wait. No." I squinted my eyes as the brunette on my phone let out a loud laugh. "I don't wanna use my brain in case it overheats so I'm just gonna let you have this one."

Hailee grins big at me after she rolls her eyes. "Where are you?"

I lifted the camera above my head so she could see the front of the fire house. I love my boys in there, but who in their right mind wants to be in enclosed spaces with multiple sweaty guys? If I wasn't gay before, I would be after that experience. So I made the executive decision to bring one of the metal chairs out front and do some people watching.

"Anyways, don't be picking on me, you're the one still inside your apartment in a fucking hoodie, don't come for me."

Hailee rolled her eyes and pursed her lips. "That's because I have something wonderful called air conditioning."

"Bleh, ours is tanked. You'd think a firehouse primarily filled with guys that one of them would step up and FIX THE DAMN AIR CONDITIONING!" I made sure to yell the last part knowing some of the guys are laying on top of the trucks not far behind me.

"Don't be so sexist!" I heard Buck yell back to me causing me to grin.

"Suck a dick, Evan." I couldn't make out his response but could hear him grumbling to himself as he hopped off the truck and dragged his feet to what I hope is the air con base.

"So what're you doing today?" I asked, desperate to keep any conversation I could with the girl going.

Hailee repositioned herself before leaning a tad closer to the camera. "Today is my off day!" She informed me, big grin covering her face. "So I'm going to dinner and then for some drinks with some of my friends...and I hate to admit it but I'm a drunk texter so I apologize in advance and would be forever grateful if you'd never mention whatever I say to me or anyone..ever."

"Too late, you've said it now. It's in the universe." I couldn't help the smile that came on my face. Drunk texters are my favorite kind of people. I always have the belief that drunk people say what sober people wish they could, so you tend to find out where you stand regardless, but the fact that despite that person being with people, or having however many people In their phone contacts, they chose you to text...it's pretty dope.

"Sounds awesome. Stay hydrated though...if any firefighter comes to rescue you and it's not me, I swear shit will go down."

"Bet." She said with a smirk before biting her bottom lip momentarily. "Maybe next time I won't need rescuing because I'll have a firefighter with me already, y'know? My own personal one."

Holy crap.

It's happening.

She has more balls than me.

Stay calm.

"Yeah, maybe." Smooth Tobin. "I mean...definitely." Fuck sake, that's not any better. Time to save this. "I mean, as a firefighter I'm an expert in what's hot."

Mortified. I. Am. Mortified.

I'm not usually completely terrible at talking to girls. But when it's a girl like Hailee...man she's got me twisted. Before I could do anymore damage and royally scare Hailee off I was interrupted by the girl on my phone erupting in laughter as she threw her head back.

"Oh my god." She said through laughter.

My dad always said the way to a girls heart is laughter and food. I can't cook but I can definitely make her laugh, at least.

"Oh yeah, you like that? Check this one out. Play with fire, you end up burnt. Play with a firefighter...you end up wet." As soon as I finished my sentence Hailee's laughter grew as she reached up to her face to wipe tears from her eyes. I looked up to the sun for a moment to see if I can remember anymore, desperate to keep the girl in front of me laughing. "In my line of work i'm required to put fires out...but if you wanna start one just call me."

I reeled o! a couple more, relishing in the girls attention. "Okay, I'm all out. You've had your fill."
--------------------------------------------------------------///---------------------------------------------------------------

Surreal.

That's the only word that describes the last hour. I'd finished my shift and was currently at home on my comfy ass sofa, wearing my comfy joggers and oversized t shirt, blunt in one hand, phone in the other which is currently filled with voice notes from Hailee along with some stupidly hot pictures she sent me of her outfit before she set off.

Comfy, comfy, comfy.

I let out a laugh as I press on the most recent voice note, allowing her sweet voice to fill the air.

"Dude be quiet i'm trying to talk!" Was the first thing I heard faintly over the loud music in the background. "Me again...are you good? 'Cos i'm great. I told the guys I wanted singles but I'm pretty sure I've been drinking doubles...but it's fine 'cos you'll rescue me right? Firefighter rescues drunk girl...sounds like a great idea for a porno."

I took a hit off the blunt before texting her a reply knowing she won't be able to hear me in the club.

'I'm great. Probably not as great as you rn but that's totally fine . I'll always rescue you, don't worry.'

I chose not to comment on the porno statement, knowing it's probably not something she'd wanna see tomorrow. I mean, she's not wrong. But still.

It only took a few minutes for my phone to beep twice, alerting me to some messages. Picking it up I first clicked on the picture she sent me. It was a selfie she has taken in what looks like the clubs bathroom mirror, a teasing pout on her face as she stared into the mirror with those damn doe eyes. Licking my lips slightly, I quickly tapped out a reply.

'You look ridiculously good, you know.'

I already told her how beautiful she looked when she showed me her outfit earlier...I'm actually running out of words to describe how amazing she looked. Snapping out of my Hailee induced trance, I eventually clicked on the voice note under the picture.

"Mmmm thank you, bub...it's nice being out of sweats once in a while." It finished with an echoing hiccup which made her giggle to herself.

'Can't relate.'

I replied before lifting my phone in the air and take a quick selfie of myself sitting down showing my current outfit with a big grin.

Her reply was almost instant; another voice note. "Fuck." She mumbled, the note only lasting for a second or two.

I let out a laugh before taking a deep inhale of the blunt once again.

'Go have fun with your friends, you. I'll be here when you're free.'

I quickly text her back, not wanting to take anything away from her night. Her reply took a couple of minutes but came through as a voice note just like her other messages.

"You can't see me right now but I'm pouting!" She yelled over the music. "But okay...uhhh, I'll text you when I get home? Maybe? If that's cool with you? Mmmm yeah. Okay. Bye baby."

I felt my heart beat through my chest at the term of endearment she used at the end of her message. Taking a few breaths I forced myself to calm down, knowing a lot of girls call each other all sorts of names. Still, even with knowing this, the shock nearly caused me to drop my blunt but your girl has lightning reflexes and managed to recover.
I wasn't going to reply to the message at first, not really feeling the need to. But after a few minutes of thought I decided that I didn't want her to freak out when she listened to her messages. I need her to know I'm cool with it.

'Night, pretty girl.'

Was what I settled on sending. Short and sweet.