guilty feet have got no rhythm

•••

Black nails, as lethal as a shark's teeth, clawed the air, reaching for me. The tip of these dangerous weapons brushed down my face, teasingly, for what is to come of my end.

Dark desire raged within the Siren's acid-green gaze. No longer laid a tranquil meadow of rich grass, but a sensation of chemicals burning through my soul.

The Siren hauled herself onto the roof, straightening up to her full six-foot height.

I scrambled back to only hit a wall.

"Do you think of us as fools, girl?" A split tongue licked her navy lips.

My palms ached to hurt her; split her body in two, gouge her eyes out, steal her heart. That was Asmodeus thinking. I want to escape unharmed.

The Hellhound jumped up behind her, equally as tall, and intruding the safety of my future. "You might want to calm that heart of yours or you'll have a heart attack."

I clutched my chest instinctively and the man smiled, pointing to his wine-red ears. "Half Werewolf, half Daemon, My Dear."

Alarms of incoming backup flooded behind us on the roads below. Panic struck me. An explosion of white flames erupted from my palms and a curtain of fire was born. Beneath my skin battled a different war - Asmodeus is waiting - waiting to spill blood, the same one it was born from and thrives on.

I ran. The edge of the rooftop creeped nearer, swallowing up my vision. I looked behind me and found red and oranges slicing through the wall of flames. The Hellhound and Siren emerged, coughing, looking around to find their prey - me.

A muted groan tore out of my throat as my body connected with the pavement. I met the light-blue sky, my back and hands and arms and legs aching from the fall. Lines of blood and patches of pinks bubbled across my skin, materialising quickly.

Only shock and adrenaline are going to keep me alive now.

Asmodeus whirred inside me, feeding on my pain. It consumed my pain but did not rid of it. Asmodeus needs energy to maintain Its primal need to evoke chaos.

The two predators loom above on the roof, staring. They are a threat to our existence - Its existence. And Asmodeus does not take kindly to the thought of Its demise.

"Parker, get her!" the Siren shouted, bending her knees in preparation to jump off the building.

Hurriedly, I scooted away, turning around to leg it down any of the alleyways, but alarms blared and lights flashed before me, a mob of identical-uniformed individuals rounded the corner with claws out and blue, zapping battalions.

Asmodeus buzzed in my ear, drooling to take over, to enact the wrath it feels so commonly.

Shadows of that girl, the girl, flashed ahead of me. Her teeth are crooked and broken, claw marks stain the tip of her forehead to the lower neck, and her left ear is missing.

She stood opposite me, deep raspy breaths escaping her lopsided jaw. Her mouth moved, forming silent words, phrases I could not understand. She turned around and I watched her descend towards the crowd, and disappear beneath the feet of the oncoming soldiers. Squashed.

The girl that started all of this.

I fell backwards as fingers curved into my collarbone and pulled me, feet stumbling to catch the ground. The Hellhound's gravelly laugh echoed behind my ear before a raging heat encompassed my spine.