1: Pasaway

"TIGAS TALAGA NG ulo mo!"

As Selena wheeled around, she was greeted instantly with the almond-shaped eyes of her mother who looked like a lioness ready to pounce on her. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight of the claws coming down. She ducked out of the way to escape the blow.

Then in an instant, the booming voice penetrated her ears.

"Gusto mo bang mamatay nang maaga? Ha? Ha? Ikaw ah! Sa susunod, mag-isip ka bago kang magnakaw ng mangga sa puno ng kapitbahay natin!"

Selena remained silent as she continued to dodge the horrors of what she had taken to call the Jellyfish due to the sting brought about by each hit. She was focused on attempting to evade her mother's slaps, which were surprisingly painful for such a small woman, to the extent where her mind was clear of any thoughts centering on other subjects. The joy that she felt previously from stealing half a dozen green mangoes from the tree of the Carpio family, had now been replaced by fear, guilt, and regret, the three emotions which Selena was accustomed to experiencing moments after committing her mischievous deeds which she was well-known for in the village.

Eventually, the woman managed to land one strike on her ear. Selena let out a gasp of pain. She brought her hand up to her ear and grimaced.

The woman placed her hands on her hips. "Naiintindihan mo ba ako?" she yelled.

Loud and clear, Selena wanted to say though her eardrums were aching from the penetrating voice of her mother.

The woman grew impatient and pinched her ear, causing Selena to squeal. "Ang sabi ko, naiintindihan mo ba ako?"

Selena nodded frantically in an attempt to escape her mother's iron grip. "Opo, Ma."

"Good," her mother said before letting go of her ear. Selena nearly sighed in relief.

The woman shooed her away before she turned in the direction of the living room. "Get out of my sight now! Tonight we will go to Theresa's house so you can apologize to her formally."

Selena cringed at the thought of having to go there again, since she remembered the way Elliott, one of the sons, was looking at her when she went there earlier to steal some mangoes. What surprised her, however, was how he just watched her at that moment.

He seemed to be more interested in looking at her than stopping her from stealing from their trees.

But what can she do? Her mother had already made up her mind. It was difficult to convince her for a shift in her decisions, too.

Selena bounded up the staircase to her room. Casting a glance at the house next door, at the window across hers, she uttered, "Pssst!"

A few moments later, a head appeared in the window. Selena grinned at the sight of the black, disheveled hair. So she just woke up...

"Ano?" came the muffled response, which caused Selena's grin to widen.

"Punta ka rito! Bilis!" Selena pressed.

"Bakit? Kagigising ko lang, Sel," the girl responded. This time her voice was laced with irritation.

Selena emitted a chuckle. "Basta pumunta ka rito. May sasabihin ako sa'yo."

The girl rolled her eyes. As if she knew where this was going.

"Oo, oo. Sige na," she answered in a tone of defeat.

Selena flashed her a triumphant smile. "Pero magsuklay ka muna ah. You look like a witch."

The girl shot daggers at Selena, who burst into a fit of giggles. It was fun to annoy her friend in the morning, especially when she just woke up. She out of all people knew that her friend was not a morning person.

"If you keep making fun of me like that, I'm not going to go there anymore." The girl's voice was laced with a tone of warning.

Selena stopped laughing upon hearing these words. "Okay, Delilah. Sorry na." She laughed a bit while saying the last part, evidently indicating the opposite.

Delilah pursed her lips and shook her head. "Sige na. Magbibihis na ako."

"See you later!" Selena squealed.

D"See you later," Delilah repeated albeit in a less enthusiastic manner.

Selena chuckled at the serious demeanor of her friend. She headed over to her bed to lay down on the comfy mattress while waiting for Delilah to come over. Her eyes twinkled with a mixture of emotions as she stared up at the ceiling. Oh, what adventures ahead awaited her today...