Chapter 10

She still hadn't seen Brooks since the festival. It was striking to Sage now that they really hadn't crossed paths that much before ever, she'd never even run into him at his house when she came to do odd jobs or sell roots. Shouldn't he have come to see her now that they were engaged? It had been a few days and there'd been no sign of him. Sage felt anxiously that every minute that went by brought them closer to a life together, one that would begin as strangers if he didn't do something about it.

    Not that she looked forward to seeing him again, exactly. She was sick to her stomach over it. But neither could she stand to live in expectation of it.

    Today was a different stomach ache, it had been far too long since she'd visited the Chief's wife. She hadn't had any busy work to do in the evenings besides spinning for over a week and her hands suffered from the repetition. Besides, she knew a few of the roots she'd fished out of the river were ones Brooks' mother was always interested in.

    So she walked apprehensively down the streets to the big house just off the village centre. It was dug low like every other home, but it had a much higher loft above the main level so it stood taller than most of them. Sage stepped down into the pretty garden and knocked timidly at the empty doorway. Like her own home, they had taken the door down for the summer in favour of a curtain. It was hooked up now though so she could see down into the house. She had always liked the fancy windows and wooden floor of this home, they made it so bright inside.

    "Sage!" Brooks' mother popped out of the side room and spotted her. "My daughter! Come in, come over here and explain why you haven't been to see me in so long!"

    She pulled her into a hug as soon as she made it down the steps and squeezed her too tightly.

    "I was so happy when Brooks mentioned he'd seen you, would you believe he didn't even know your name that day? You've been coming here a couple times a week for years and that silly boy never even saw you. I told him that's what comes from staying away from the house so much. Maybe if he'd bothered to help his mother more he wouldn't have ever gone on that trip this summer."

    Sage's cheeks were bright pink and her chin tucked close to her chest. Her new prospective mother-in-law was trying to hold her by the shoulders and smile affectionately at her face. This welcome was pulling a smile out of her too though, despite the embarrassment.

    "I'm sorry, um, I brought these for you to look at. I know there's a few in here that you'd like and there's also -"

    "Oh, don't change the subject! I want to see the roots, of course, but first come and have some tea so I can talk to you." she herded Sage towards the benches in front of the huge fireplace at the back of the room.

    It wasn't until she'd been sat down on a green cushion that she noticed with a start that Brooks' younger brother was also in the room. He was only about eleven years old and the most they'd ever exchanged was a few words when his mother wasn't nearby to answer the door. He was staring at her now from where he crouched in a corner with his dog, and when she saw him he turned and scurried out of the house.

    "Was that Tawn?" his mother said, turning from the fire at the noise.

    "Yes."

    She tsked, returning to the tea.

    "He's supposed to let me know if he's going out, but I suppose he's only going to find Brooks. I think he told Tawn to go find him if you came by. When did you see him last?"

    Sage felt panic rising. She'd been so relieved that Brooks wasn't here, but now he was being sent for? Would he come if he heard she was here?

    "Sage? Here's your tea. Did you hear my question?"