i. The Book of Genesis

i. the book of genesis

THE FIRST TIME he saw her was Sunday service

THE FIRST TIME he saw her was Sunday service. His mother had dragged him with her one fateful day after he'd gotten his ass handed to him by Brooklyn's newest annoyance, Archnae.

The girl in the pew in front of him was beautiful. She caught his eye immediately. Her gentle white church dress highlighted her tan skin. Miles could see the collarbones protruding out of the collar of her dress. His thoughts remained filled with sin as he watched her kneel on the pew.

"Mijo," Rio Morales said gently, nudging him. Her brown eyes grazed his face for a moment. "Get in line to receive the body." For a good three seconds, Miles was tempted to look back at the girl that was praying in the pew right in front of them.

"Ya, mami. I'm going now."

He raised himself from his kneeling position and joined the line of people awaiting a chance to be redeemed. Like an executioner, the priest muttered a few lines and placed a piece of God into their hands.

The girl from before stood beside him. There was two lines, meaning she must've slipped into the second line when he was talking with his mother. Her cheeks were littered with freckles. Her skin was clean and shiney. Miles thought that was what God looked like. This girl was God.

In every painting he'd ever seen of God, white robes and tan skin were the sole image that appeared. She looked like the paintings.

The only thing missing was warm, brown eyes that was in the many Jesus paintings in his home. Her eyes were gray, a stormy gray that sent a small shiver down his spine.

"The body of Christ," the priest said in front of him. Miles snapped out of his state, taking the Body into his hands. An amen slipped from Miles' lips. It always felt unnatural to say it. He wasn't a true believer like his mother was.

The girl beside him, however, made him believe in something. When she muttered amen, Miles wanted to hear her lead the sermon. Her voice was smooth and accented, the same accent that Miles had. Miles knew right then and there she was God.