Short Story #4

Aragon is a land of freedom. Many of the different species of Eppon come to the land to free themselves from their monarchs. As the home of the elements, Aragon is divided into four lands: the lava lands, the forest, the river lands, and the valley. The forest land belongs to those who control the elements of the earth. They are known as Pulyvs from the land of Waskea. The valley is the land of relaxation and home to those who move the winds the way they want. Hemas made their home on Aragon after leaving their land of Hyudie. The Azuries made the river lands their home due to the rivers connecting to the northern oceans of Eppon. Azuries have the power to control the seas and rivers. Although a group of ice wielders was the first of their family, it is rare for one of their children to control ice. The land of lava on Aragon belongs to one group of elements, and they are the wielders of fire, the Flarions.

Each element created its respective kingdoms known in modern Aragon as Elaressi, the land of the forests. Xorus, land of the valley and wind. Abesa, land of the sea. And Erythro, land of the flaming lands. Their kingdoms grew as time went on, and each kingdom became powerful. The Flarions are the people of Aragon, and the land has belonged to them since the beginning of Eppon. On the land of Aragon lives many tales of the elements and the creation of the tales they pass down from generation to generation. One tale that every Flarion knows is the tale of Fotheea.

Thousands of years ago, on the land of Erythro, lived a young lady that went by the name of Fotheea. She was beautiful and charming. She had long black hair, soft white skin, and deep red eyes, representing her element of fire and ancestry of the Flarion clan. Every man across the lands wanted to wed Fotheea, but she refused to wait for the one who would charm her and take her as his own.

One day, Fotheea decided to explore the lands of her people. She came upon a dark cave under the volcano of Xipil, the ruler of Ember. The cave was dark and steaming from the lava above. The strange thing about this specific cave is that no animals were in sight. Fotheea used to explore the caves of the Forbidden Forest with her father when she was a child. They found numerous animals that made their homes in the caves, but this one was empty. Fotheea continued her journey into the cave and suddenly stopped when she came upon a mysterious red mist surrounding a scarlet stone. Slowly the mist began to spread in the small room, expanding to where Fotheea was standing. The mist started to circle her. Xipil heard a low growl from the mist. Fotheea hugged herself as the mist consumed her whole body until she was a corpse on the ground.

Fotheea woke up in an unknown place. The ceiling was made of straw, and the bed was pushing into her back. She tried to sit up, but her body ached in pain. Finally, she looked down at her body and began to shake in fear. Her entire body was black and bloody. Her clothing was gone, and her skin was as well. Gasping for breath, Fotheea tried to scream to get any help from nearby.

"Calm down, you are all right," a deep voice said beside her. Turning slightly, Fotheea found herself staring at a young man. He had brown hair, bright red eyes, and a tone darker than she was.

"What happened?" Fotheea barely made out.

"I found you in the cave under the volcano of Xipil. I saw you go inside, but I kept my distance just in case you needed assistance. You suddenly stopped walking and then fell to the ground. When I go to you, though, your skin begins to fall off your body, and these burning scars begin to appear. I quickly took you out and into my home outside the village. You have been unconscious for four whole days. I asked around the village for your parents, and they have informed me that you are not from the village."

"No, I come from a small village set in the Forbidden Forest," Fotheea replied.

"Forbidden Forest?"

"It means that the kingdoms are forbidden from taking the forest as their own," Fotheea explains through rasped breaths. The young man nods understanding before getting up from a wooden chair and pulling a blanket to cover her burns.