015 actions & consequences

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"I don't think this is a good idea," Theseus started. The hallway was lit by his friend's wand as they crept around the school. It was late at night and they were tailing two Slytherin prefects.

"Scared, golden boy?" Theseus glanced at his friend Bailey who shrugged in response. They were out on curfew with two Gryffindor boys, Leo Collar and Alec Norman. Irma and Alva had tormented Alec's cousin earlier today and all of them were fed up with their prejudice ways.

"He's just too in love with that Slytherin girl," Alec quipped, brushing blonde hair from his face. Theseus isn't. He can't. How can you like someone that doesn't even want to talk to you anymore? She was the one who didn't respond to his letters.

"I'm not," he stated, though it sounded like he was trying to convince himself more. Leo and Alec shared a glance.

"Then help us," Alec finished, rolling his hazel eyes.

"You're sure this will work?"

"Relax Scamander, we have Samuel," within a moment Samuel Cassowary turned the corner and Alec softly clapped him on the shoulder. The light from his wand illuminated his face and Theseus recognised the Ravenclaw boy.

"Brains of the operation," Leo commented, grinning ear to ear.

"Come on, let's not get caught by anyone," Samuel started, leading the way as the other boys followed.

"Theseus," Bailey tugged on Theseus' coat. They both stopped as the others continued to follow Samuel.

"I didn't think they'd go through with it," Theseus started, his voice low. His eyes were wide as he stared at his friend, guilt already flowing through.

"We should stop this," Bailey insisted, "No one deserves this."

"Are you both coming?" Alec called out, finally noticing that the two Hufflepuffs weren't following. Bailey shared a glance with Theseus.

"I'm out. I'm not doing this," Bailey declared, shaking his head.

"Hufflepuffs," Leo scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"Scamander, you too much of a chicken too?" Alec taunted.

"No one deserves this," Bailey argued, his voice higher than usual as anger seeped in.

"They made fun of my little cousin's blood," snapped Alec, "They made fun of my blood."

"Theseus?" Everyone turned to Theseus, his eyes on the ground as he made up his mind.

"You should go," he said softly to his friend. Bailey stared at him with concern. When it was clear he wasn't changing his mind, Bailey threw a dirty look at Alec and Leo before walking back to the comfort of his common room.

"I knew you had it in you," Alec patted his shoulder, "C'mon, we need to be quick."

Ariadne's heart picked up the pace. She glanced to her left, almost sure that eyes were on her. The empty streets of London were cold, the sky was grey and every shop was closing for the night. Hands in her pocket, she slowly grabbed her wand, regretting walking home now as she turned her head.

Taking a detour, Ariadne kept her head down while trying to be aware of her surroundings. She walked away from her home, leading her stalker away from her safe place. The sun began to set and golden streams of light began to ooze from behind the dark clouds. Her pace was fast, she wanted to lose them.

'This is foolish,' she thought, 'It's just paranoia.' But something tickled the back of her neck, making her tense. Someone was watching her. Ariadne made her way down the streets, hoping to lose them in the crowd that formed in the central square. Maybe she could return to the Ministry and hide out there? Maybe she should just walk home and confront her fears?

Ariadne had never been brave. She was smart and a quick thinker, not courageous or fearless. Her outburst of confidence was what she called impulsive decisions. Her fears could easily haunt her and right now, they did. Was it Grindelwald who sent someone to find her? She was meeting him tomorrow, was it to make sure that she really did come alone? Or worse, was it her father coming back to terrorise her life again?

Lost in thought, she bumped into someone. Theseus caught her elbow as her hands pressed up against his chest. Shock overtook both of them and almost sent Ariadne over the edge.

"Are you okay?" concern enlaced in his voice. She swallowed and nodded, not trusting her voice at the moment, "Ariadne," in that moment, she hated the fact that he always noticed the tells of her lie.

"I think someone is following me," she whispered quietly, almost not sure if he heard. He glanced at her before his eyes examined his surroundings, a small frown on his face.

"C'mon," he led her into a small shop, the shopkeeper was falling asleep in his chair. He nodded tiredly at the two as they entered as his eyelids drooped. No one else was in the store and he led her behind the shelves at the back. Without another word, he grabbed her shoulder and apparated home.

The change of scenery shocked Ariadne. The large apartment was neat and warm. Theseus muttered a spell and the fireplace was lit. Wooden floors were covered by an expensive-looking rug, shelves filled with miscellaneous books lined the wall. The living room connected to the kitchen and there was a hallway to the right.

"I shouldn't be here."

"Ariadne, if they're stalking you, who knows what else they know. They could be at your house right now," so he was just as paranoid as her. Theseus must have noticed her fear spike because he pinched the bridge of his nose, "I didn't mean it like that."

"I know."

[947 words]