All hail football

This has been the weirdest week of my life.

Let me catch you up:

My weekend consisted of hockey tryouts, house work, and driving Malachi around for new school clothes. Dad gave him $250 to go anywhere he wanted. We went to Thrift World and Jitterbug. Thrift world is pretty basic but Jitterbug is the cutest little thrift shop.

Monday was such a fucking Monday. Our first official hockey practice. First quiz in physics. I barely passed.

Tuesday was NOT special.

Wednesday was the best day this week. All my classes were normal except for SP. Scarlett said my hair looked nice. It was in the most atrocious french braid you will ever see. My hair was sweaty and my curls were framing my face because of how hot it was. But she complimented me.

And that was amazing because we hadn't talked in person at all this week until that moment.

But yesterday, she wasn't even at school.

But today is the day.

Home game against River's City.

And I'm gonna be there.

Next to Scarlett.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" Kitty sat next to me in the library. She's probably open right now. I am skipping Coach's class because I have a headache. Definitely not because I want to crawl into a hole and die. "You've been acting weird all week."

My own teammate has noticed. Who else can see the state of panic I am in?

I took my airpod out and looked at her, being polite and wanting to engage in a conversation, "Just home stuff." True. My father is making it a nightmare at my house right now. I just feel too bad to leave Melly there alone.

"I get it if you don't want to talk." She nodded and pulled out an SAT study book out of her backpack. She's a Junior and has to take the SATs in October.

"Just..." I looked around the packed library, "Not here."

Gossip in this school spreads faster than a wild fire. It spreads even faster when you're popular.

And I know enough people. Enough people know me.

It would be the end of my social life.

That's rule number one of a small town high school: Never say something you don't want everyone else to know.

"Coach is gonna work everyone harder this year." I didn't look at her as I copied the notes that Mobius sent me from today's presentation in the class that I am not in.

She snorted, "Can't imagine why. It's not like we won state or anything last year." Katherine Holiday is filled with sarcasm.

I shook my head, "Last three years, Katherine." I smiled and looked at her, "And I've been the captain for two."

"Oh go you." She elbowed me playfully then set her pencil down, "You're actually okay?'

I nodded and looked back at my own work, "Just really tired, Kitty. That's all." I scanned my brain to find something not related to hockey, "How is Theo?"

Her boyfriend in New York. Theo used to live here but moved right at the end of last year.

Props to them for making long distance work.

"He's such a baby." She slumped in her seat, "He's all mad because I can't come to the play he's in next weekend. But how can he be that upset when he literally didn't ask me to prom last year. Like, it was the prom!" She sat up straighter, "Sorry. He's fine. We're fine."