Long Gone {34}

A/n

I'm back from surgery, and have returned to writing! Everything went well, thank you for all the kind comments. Wanted to clarify something about Travis' heritage. The only canon fact we know about Travis' heritage, to my knowledge, is that he's mixed. In this fanfic, I've written is so that Travis' mother is indigenous, and Kenneth is white (unspecified). 

        "May God be with you." A member of the church said to Sal, clasping her hands together with a wide grin.

"Uh, yeah. You too." Sal awkwardly shuffled away, trying to avoid her peculiar, zany eyes.

Many churchgoers had been eyeing him cagily throughout the entire ceremony, but Sal's mind was fogged with bigger worries. Travis hadn't been present whatsoever. Typically, the blond would participate in the choir, sometimes even give speeches, but there was no sign of him. Larry insisted on accompanying Sal to the ministry, given the circumstances. He was by no means a holy soul, but his friendship with Travis was more than enough to get him to attend.

"Hey, have you noticed everyone staring at you? Well, more than usual?" The brunette whispered to Sal, slouching over to reach the shorter boy's ear.

"Yeah, it's not normally this bad. Most people around here have gotten used to me, something weird is going on and I don't like it."

Larry snorted, "you can say that again. I haven't seen your boyfriend yet, any idea where he could be?" 

Sal hesitantly nodded his head, he didn't want to think about the possibilities. "My best guess is that he's with the cult right now, but we can't be sure."

"So, what's next?" Larry crossed his arms, leaning back against one of the stained glass windows.

"There's only one man we can talk to now." Sal's cerulean eyes drifted to the front of the room, stopping on the Minister. He was already staring back at Sal, a confident, calm smile plastered onto his pale face.

Larry caught his line of sight, "Sally face, let's think about this for a second. We already know that bastard's involved, but do we really want him to know that we're on his trail?"

"He already knows, that man knows everything. I'm not sure how he does it, but every single thing that happens in this town is immediately brought back to him. Especially with how convinced Travis is about his father, loving him," Sal said in air quotes, "I wouldn't be surprised if Travis told him everything himself." 

"If you say so, Sal. Let's just be careful."

Sal twisted his body and started marching towards Kenneth, he wasn't willing to waste any more valuable time.

"Hello, Mr.Fisher. It's good to see you again." The corners of Kenneth's lips curled into a heartless smirk as Sal approached him.

"What did you do to him?" Sal's already heavy footsteps were even louder against the hollow stairs that lead up to the stage, on which the priest was standing.

Kenneth frowned, "I can't possibly understand what you mean."

"Don't play dumb, you know exactly what he's talking about." Larry agreed, taking a large step towards Kenneth.

"If you boys would care to elaborate, maybe I could provide an answer." 

Sal sighed, trying to remain composed, "Travis. What did you do to him? He's acting insane, and I need to know why. I need to know how I can help him."

Kenneth clicked his tongue, "I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're talking about. Travis is perfectly well, he simply stayed home today to review for diplomas this week."