1. First Sober Impressions

Song: Likey (Instrumental) - Twice

***

"Okay, universe. I hope you've got your girl's back. Just give me a sign everything is going to be okay." However, as I walk into the kitchen, a shoe hits me in the forehead. Is this the sign?

It's Samuel's, my brother, "Oh, damn, Di. Sorry, I was aiming for the fly. Didn't expect to hit your big-ass forehead," He laughs. Sam is a year younger than me, 17. And he is a jerk.

"Sam!" My mother's angry voice chimes in, "Language!"

"Sorry, ma!" He apologizes, "Anyway, Di, tell me, excited for today? You are a Junior at my high school now. How does it feel?"

I feel like shit - That is what I want to say, but I can't be so negative on the first day. Besides, I don't even know the school. So, I smile in return and bite on a sandwich mom made.

To my relief, my brother doesn't push me to answer further questions.

And soon enough, whines fill the house - Ryan, my other brother. Ryan is 7 years old, thus the baby of the family.

Sam and I look at each other as Ryan throws a tantrum at Dad. If we did that, we would get scolded, but Ryan gets treated like a literal prince.

"What do you mean, Ryan? I thought you wanted to go to school - it's your first day, puttar!" My father carries a screaming Ryan under his arm while he holds his newspaper in the other hand.

"But I don't want to now! I didn't know I had to wake up this early!" Ryan crosses his arms over his chest as Dad sits him on the chair across from Sam.

Samuel and I roll our eyes. We continue eating our breakfast despite the chaos happening. Ryan is still whining about going to school while Dad tries to calm him down, and Mom is packing our lunch while telling us to finish it all.

Meet the Garewal family.

Finally, out of that circus, I buckle my seatbelt and drive.

"So, you officially ended things with Liam?" Sam asks from the passenger seat. I roll my eyes at the mention of my ex-boyfriend.

"Yeah, Liam didn't want to put the effort into a long-distance relationship. So we ended it," I bluntly respond.

"Are you sure it doesn't bother you?" He continues the conversation. I shake my head, "Why should I bother when he didn't care? I'm okay, Sam." Breaking up with Liam hurt like a bitch, but I can't say that. I can't say anything because coming back to LA was my decision. And I can't force Liam to keep the relationship - it doesn't work like that.

I park the car in front of our school, Marcus-Becker School. This is my new beginning. Sam squeezes my shoulder, "It'll be okay, Di. Just go for it like you always do." Sam smiles at me. I sigh, but he's right - I can do this.

"Imma head out first. Gotta meet the boys," With that, my brother leaves the car and enters school.

Am I ready for this? I have no idea, but I must take the leap of faith.

Breathe in, and breathe out. You've got this, Simran.

I get out of the car, and I walk towards school without thinking much - only if that was easy.

The loud sound of a motorbike invades my ears, and before I can react, that motorbike almost runs me over - almost. Upon reflex, my hands cover my face in fear.

The tires screech horridly before coming to an abrupt halt, "Do you wanna die?!" The guy screams once he is face-to-face with me - Or rather helmet-to-face with me. His voice makes me stare at him.