Chapter 3: Raid Gone Wrong

Ben's POV:

"What does the sky look like?" Krystal asked, her eyes wide with curiosity. It hurt. It hurt so much that I had to sit there explaining to her things she shouldn't have taken from her. She'd lived her whole life in the damn dungeon, never seeing anything but the cell, never eating anything but the crappy dry food they gave her, never knowing what it was like to have a real conversation with someone, someone that wouldn't hurt her or use her. It made my blood boil but I was getting her out. Kane and I were almost ready to move her out, we just had to be careful about it.

"It's uh," I said, scratching the back of my head. How did I explain the sky? "It's vast. Bigger than anything you could imagine. Most the time it's blue but it's different colors at sunset and sunrise. Dark at night. It's... Freedom," I shrugged. "It goes on forever and ever."

"Freedom," she repeated, pain flashing in her eyes.

Dammit. That was not the right thing to say.

"I'm sorry, Krys. I'm not good at explaining things," I said, pulling out my phone. "I'll show you a picture."

"No," she said, reaching through the bars and setting her hands on mine. "I like the way you describe it. I want to see it through your eyes."

My heart started racing at the contact. I'd given her space because the last thing she needed was me being an overbearing dick. Our physical contact was rare and I could hear heart race as well.

"I'm not good with words, Krystal," I said, looking up into those jade green eyes I could never get tired of staring into. They seemed to change color sometimes. "You deserve better than the crappy imagery I give you."

"I don't think that," she said, giving me a small smile, not only leaving her hands on mine but threading her fingers through mine. "I think you're great with words. I want to discover the world through you."

"You won't have to," I promised. "I'm getting you out of here. Kane and I are getting you out of here. Soon you'll be able to see it for yourself."

"I don't want to see it for myself," she said, leaning closer to the bars. "I want to see it with you, Benny," she said, lifting our woven hands and pressing a kiss to the back of mine.

"You all right, Ben?" Zach asked, patting my back.

I shook my head and refocused. I couldn't be daydreaming about Krystal. We were on a mission.

The road was bumpy and dark, making all of us sway with each rough bump. Other than that, it was completely quiet. Quiet because we usually knew what we were getting ourselves into but all the crazy shit happening with the human world as well as ours was putting us all on edge.

"I'm fine. You ready?" I asked, nodding to the gas canister.

"I'm ready," he nodded. "You sure you're good?"

"I'm good. Just focusing."

Zach looked at me doubtfully but didn't push it. He and Tess were the only ones that wouldn't leave me alone about it. I know they wanted to help but they didn't understand it couldn't be helped. I just missed her like hell.

And I hated myself for not saving her.

The car came to a stop and we unloaded from the van. Zach zipped up the bag the canisters were in along with the gun to shoot them off. He also had some just to throw if he needed to. The other vans unloaded and we all circled around Kane.

We're about two miles out. Everyone have the antidote for the anti-shift serum? He linked, looking around at everyone. We all confirmed with a nod and Kane seemed satisfied enough. All right. Move slowly. Ben's group is heading East. Mine has West. Zach is on his own, coming in from the South.