CHAPTER 6

"Greetings Duke." Callixto said.

"Greetings." Duke Redcliff replied.

"What business do you have with me and my daughter?"

"I am here to ask for your permission to marry Lady Orealia". Callixto said with a straight face.

"You want to marry my daughter? I refuse."
Duke didn't even consider his proposal and denied him outright.

What? He didn't even give it a thought! What should I do now? I feel like I'm stuck between a lion and a Bear and I have nowhere to hide. Both of them exude energy and aura which is intimidating.
I can handle it! I can handle it!
Let's try. I encouraged myself.

"Father, I also want to marry Duke Darkthorne. Please reconsider your decision. I like Duke and he's an affluent, handsome, and appealing husband."

"Oh, dear! Whatever you say, I won't let my daughter marry that faraway land.
Don't worry dear, you don't have to be threatened by him. I will not consent to this union."

"Father, please."

"Duke Redcliff, I sincerely want to ask for your permission. I have gotten permission from His Majesty, and after you agree, we will leave right away. I won't cause you any problems." Callixto said.

Ah! Duke will that work? Is that how you ask for a hand in marriage? I am done with this man! There's no speck of kindness on his face. He does sound earnest but......
Why is the father so quiet?

"Father? Are you allowing me to marry the Duke?" I asked.

"I don't want you to leave the Capital. Please understand dear."

"Father, I will only marry the Duke. Please father, please! "

I made a sad and hopeful face to make him say 'yes' as he always does.
I tried my best to persuade him and I think this is going to melt his heart.

He looked with concerned eyes and tried to look away from me.

"I always do as you say but not this time dear, I don't want my sunshine to leave and go to a faraway place." He said.

"Father I will send you letters and it's not that far. Please father, please...."

I tried to use all of the luck and charm. Only her father can see her face looking nice and adorable. For other people it's as scary as hell.

"Duke Darkthorne, please leave for now. I want to talk to my daughter."

"I will come back, Duke Redcliff.
I am leaving lady Orealia. See you soon.."

He looked as cold as ever. This guy.. he left as soon as he said those words.

"Father I am tired. Let's talk about it once I've recollected my thoughts.
I will take my leave."

I was so tired with those two men hovering over my head and not agreeing with each other. The tension was real. I could not think of a way to come out of this. It's like there's a cliff in front of me and a starving lion waiting in the den right behind me. It's scary! I am done with it. Please save me lord. You can still send me back to my world. please!
I know very well  that I am stuck in this world! If only I had some magic powers to disappear! I sighed.

IN OREALIA'S ROOM

Now that I've signed the contract, I can't really run away!

What can I do to convince her father? If he doesn't agree to it, I will elude the prince.