Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Twenty-One: The Hunt of The Leopard

Ronan's leopard rumbled in his chest as he carried Brynn into the small motel room. After she defeated the air wielder almost single-handedly, Ronan carried Brynn away from the area before law enforcement arrived.

Although he did not live in this territory, he knew how to steal a vehicle when necessary. It was easy enough to procure a vehicle a few blocks down.

After configuring the controls on the dark sedan, he tucked a chunk of cash under a large stone on the porch of the house he'd stolen it from. He made a note of the address—when he had the chance, he would have Gavriel send these people more cash as a thank you.

Then he tucked Brynn into the backseat, careful of her head, and drove a winding, unpredictable path north. He didn't dare stop until he'd found a motel right off the highway. Here they could hop right back on the road if needed.

In the tiny motel lobby, the woman at the reception desk sat back, her eyes closed, arms crossed, and chin tucked into her chest.

The stale smell of dust, dirt, and hours old burnt coffee made Ronan wrinkle his nose. The lobby was dim, nothing more than a small chair, a scratched up end table, and one yellowing lamp.

Ronan tilted his head at the woman behind the counter. It was dangerous for her to sleep like this. Anyone could walk in. A predator could easily take her out with a well-placed claw.

He tapped on the chipped counter. The woman blinked awake and grumbled something like a greeting to him. She didn't ask him a single question as he held out cash for a room.

That was the last of his money—he and Brynn would need to find more if they stayed in this territory.

Not that he planned to stay in this territory any longer than necessary. He needed to get Brynn to safety.

Outside, Ronan carried Brynn into the small motel room. A sticky coating over the door handle had him frowning as he opened it. He tried not to think about how it got that way.

The room had a single queen bed—the most affordable option of the already cheap rooms. It smelled like smoke, mildew, and the faintest trace of soap.

The floor creaked under his booted feet as he carefully placed Brynn on the bed.

Two fingers at her neck confirmed a pulse. Quiet, but steady. His leopard whined at her unconscious state.

She'd had his back out there. While he fought the Governor's hired people, Brynn had been right there. She'd watched his back, throwing herself in between him and the air wielder when he'd tried to go after Ronan.

The knowledge was...heavy. This woman, for all she was, had his back when it mattered. And if he wasn't sure before, he was now.

He could trust Brynn.

It was freeing. Although she had a tendency to alter herself to fit what others wanted to see, he could see, even partially, to her true core.

And her true core—the smart, strong woman ready to throw herself into fights for others—was his.

He would give himself permission now. After tonight, after seeing her battle one on one with an air wielder, after saving him, he would let himself chase her.

Hopefully, Brynn could handle being captured by a leopard shifter.

Because after tonight, he would never let her go.

***

Brynn woke up all at once. One moment she was asleep, and the next, she jackknifed up. Her heart pounded. Her gaze darted to her surroundings, taking them in.