𝟎𝟎𝟏

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏
London, England 1919

Adeline's footsteps echoed throughout the great hall and all heads turned toward her. Her dark blue dress trailed behind her and she kept her eyes forward, not looking at a single guard or maid that lingered.

"To what do I owe you the pleasure?" She sighed before taking her seat at the table.

James stood and cleared his throat. "We're in need of your assistance, my daughter." He began. Adeline laughed loudly, covering her mouth. "He needs my assistance— Maxwell are you hearing this? He needs my assistance." She mocked.

James stood patiently and waited for her to be quiet. "As I was saying. It has been brought to our attention that there is a certain gang in Birmingham that is putting the people into a state of fear."

"And what's this got to do with me?" Adeline raised an eyebrow.

"As not one person in England other than the people within these walls have seen your face, I'm sending you to work as an agent of the crown to investigate the case. You won't be alone— the chief inspector has put another woman on the job. But I don't trust his sources." James admitted.

"I told you that one day you'd need me on your side, did I not?" Adeline examined her nails.

James blinked hard through frustration. "Indeed you did. There will be a party held tonight on Palace grounds to celebrate my fifteenth year on the throne." He said. "The specific family that runs this gang will be attending due to the fact three of them fought in the war. It is your job to set eyes on them and try to get a taste of what you'll be dealing with."

"William would have been turning fourteen this year." She interrupted. James glared at her. "Adeline, please."

"Do I get a new dress made for this event?" Adeline asked. James and Anne shared a glance. "Your mother went ahead and took care of that."

"Okay— and nobody will suspect who I am?" Adeline questioned. James clasped his hands in front of him and let out a sigh. "Not if you don't mention it."

"Very well then." She nodded. "Is that it or do you have more rubbish you want to lay out in front of me?"

"Adeline, that is no way to speak to your father." Anne scolded.

"You tell me off like a child, mother, but you're yet to look me in the eye. And I'll speak to him however I please— he took the life of my boy, remember?" Adeline said with a certain annoyance lacing her voice.

Neither of her parents said much more. Instead they allowed her to leave.

-

Adeline hovered at the top of the stairs and her eyes scanned the room, landing on small groups of girls who were fawning over the boys from rich families that spoke with them. Adeline was unsure of what to do, her own eyes landing on a small group of men who looked severely out of place.

Adeline ran a hand over the green fabric that clung to her and finally descended down the large staircase. Most people turned their heads toward her but didn't take much notice due to not knowing who she was. She nodded her head sheepishly at people as she passed them and made a b-line for her guard.

"There's so many people here," she said quietly, standing at Maxwell's side.

"It's a party, your grace." He replied in an obvious tone. "Go on, go talk to someone. They are your people after all," He raised an eyebrow. "They don't know they're my people." She retorted.

"Yes but you've got your victims." He said quietly, his eyes glued to the same group of men that Adeline had spotted moments earlier.

Adeline scowled as Maxwell nodded toward a crowd. She eventually decided to try and blend in and looked around for somebody to talk to. But she didn't have to, there was a boy not much younger than her standing in front of her.