Six

The hair stood up on the back of your neck as she took a step towards you.

You could feel the power in her feet. It was moments like these that you were glad you weren't competing in Tai Boxing. Or MMA. She could have catapulted you out of the ring with a single kick.

Maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, but you preferred to be careful than to regret it afterwards.

As a precaution, you jerked back a step. Her arms were long, she could also land a blow from a distance. But that would not be a problem.

Again you turned to the side.

All around you, people were gurgling. The tension rose, one could feel the blood of the crowd begin to boil. The crowd thirsted for violence. Bloodshed was preferred.

And you were about to prevent that it would be your blood that ended up covering the ring.

The distance between you and her closed.

It was kind of an unfair fight from the get go, both of you so different in your physical features, your height and even weight. It felt like the two of you didn't belong in the same category let alone league.

But here you were now. And you wouldn't let this chance slide.

"Are you afraid?", you asked with a smug grin, your chin raised behind your fists that you kept up for cover.

It was unwise to leave her too much space to hit. She wasn't allowed to strike below the belt line anyways although that rule was often dismissed.

It was all about messiness and efficiency. You wouldn't have been surprised if someone whipped out some mantis blades mid fight.

Amusing to think about but not so much when it actually happened. You still had a scar that stretched across your right shoulder blade.

"You're a funny one, huh?", she jumped a step forward.

This time, you did not back away. She needed to be close in order for you to break through her cover. And the crowd already started to mutter with annoyance.

Half of the first round was already over and not a single hit had been dealt yet. This wasn't what they had come for. But you'd give them what they wanted and even more.

Just a little longer, you thought and watched as her shoulder flinched under the tension of her muscle implants. Her body couldn't handle the amount of cyberware she was covered in.

Yes, perfect. This would be a piece of cake.

Or maybe not. Because in the split second in which you allowed yourself to be snobby, her left hand chased towards you from the lower side.

It struck you by surprise, she had used her right hand for the fist bump so you had assumed that was the one she was dominant with.

Cold sweat chased down your spine as you turned your feet and leaned back. It was a good move to avoid a hit but also dangerous since you needed to open your cover to keep balance.

All your muscles tensed as you could feel how her punch cut through the air. A snapping sound made the crowd woah in awe.

"Shit..!", you cursed and twirled around to deal a hit to her shoulder.

A sharp pain chased through your knuckles.

Just as expected, she was mostly made of metal. That made her slow but also kind of invincible to normal hits. And her hands seemed to have an unholy amount of strength as well despite the fact that she was struggling.

Beads of sweat already shimmered on her forehead as the first round was finally cut short by the bell.

Relived, you took a deep breath and returned to your corner. You weren't out of breath. Not yet. But you had just learned that your plan couldn't be executed all that easy.

Perhaps you really needed to take a hit to break through her cover. Since her shoulders and torso seemed to be made is steel that only left her face for attacks.

You had a pretty nasty uppercut but that also required you to leave yourself defenceless. Not the best options in a fight like this.

A shivering breath escaped you as the soothing feeling of cold water covered your face. Greedily, you took a few sips before popping down on your stool.

"What the fuck is up?", as soon as Dexter's butter smooth voice reached your ears you could feel how violent anger issues boiled up inside of you. "You're supposed to box, not play chicken!"

Gritting your teeth, you rolled your eyes before gifting him a glance across your shoulder.

"Do you box, Dex?", you asked, a passive aggressive smirk on your lips.

"If I box? Do I fuckin' look like I do? Nah, kiddo, I take home the fucking money. But I can't do that if you're running around like a bitch with your tail between your legs!", thick strands of smoke seeped from his lips.

Annoyed, you stared at him.

Yes, he did take home the money.

And what would you get?

A handshake and some bucks, if you were lucky. Fuck, this gig was so not worth it. And the worst part was that he always needed to act like a dick.

You wondered if it would hurt him to be nice for once. Or maybe it would make him crumble to dust. Like a vampire in sunlight.

"I have a plan.", you just said with a shrug and let your gaze wander back to your opponent.

Her eyes rose to meet yours.

She was covered in sweat already. Her breath was heavy and it seemed like she wouldn't make it out of her corner no more.

But as the bell rang for the second round, her mountain of cyberware managed to force her back up. Despite the fact that she already showed clear signs of distraught.

Maybe you could sit this fight out, keep her busy until she was totally at her limits and then strike with all force. But that was how pussies won.

And you wanted to be known a legend.

"Fuck it.", you rose with a groan, shaking your shoulders to loosen the muscles. "I'll just break your jaw."

Suddenly, a blue shirt pushed into the corner of your vision. There he was again. That stranger.

He smirked.