Chapter 10

Travis

I fucking hate my luck. I probably don't even have any because I'm so unlucky with everything that happens.

I'm working with Sal Fisher again, but this time it's in algebra. It's only for today so I'm a bit glad about that, but I'd rather just not work with him at all. But now that I think about it, he'll probably do all the work because I absolutely suck at algebra.

But everything between us wasn't just two enemies, it's now more complicated than that, because I slept at his place, drunk, and I still don't have a fucking clue on what happened that night. Not to mention, we also had a weird conversation together in the bathroom a few weeks before that.

But I know something did happen. I know something happened that night, I just don't know what.

When Sal walks over to the empty desk next to me and pulls the chair out to sit down, he glances at me.

It wasn't the glance that told me. It was the look in his eye. The small, barely noticeable look.

It wasn't a look of hatred, it wasn't a look of disgust, it was a look of curiosity and maybe something else.

He looked away too fast that I couldn't tell what it was.

I snap back into reality when Mrs. Packerton places a packet on Sal's desk. She pauses, looking between the two of us. "Please... Just act like you like each other, just for today." She then walks back to her desk.

Sal looks at me, and I meet his gaze. The way his eyes narrowed when I met his gaze made me feel weird.

Something wasn't right about what was happening right now, and I don't like it. I don't like the look in his eye.

I swallow, and he inhales before looking away, his eye darting to the packet.

I look out the window, trying to avoid looking at him as best as I can, because he keeps making me feel weird.

I wanted to ask. I truly wanted to ask what happened, but I couldn't bring myself to ask. I'm curious, but my fear overcomes my curiosity. I want to know, but I also truly don't want to know.

I bite down on the inside of my lip when I feel his eye on me, observing me before he looks away.

This was going to be a long, painful 50 minutes.

~~~

The sound of the metal chains hitting one another from the wind and from me sitting on the swing was all that I listened to.

Well, and the sound of Phillip kicking his feet up as he swings back and forth.

"You're quite childish, you know?" I say, the corners of my lips very slightly tugged upwards.

"We're all childish still in some way, Trav. I mean, you still bully people even though we're going to graduate in a year." Phillip chuckles, and I can feel his eyes on me for a moment before he looks away.

"Shut up, Phillip." I shake my head, my feet digging into the wood chips underneath them.

"So, find out anything else about what happened that night?" Phillip wriggles his brows, that one stupid grin on his face.

"No, I didn't. Even if I did, I wouldn't tell you, because you keep saying, 'enemies to lovers' when you know damn well that I would never be gay."

Phillip sighs, kicking his feet up once more, wood chips flying in the air at his kicks. "I know. But being gay isn't a sin, no matter how much Kenneth says it is, it isn't. We were made to love who we want to love; God doesn't care if you love a person with a dick, or a person with a-"

"Okay! I get it!" 

"Vagina." Phillip continues on, a laugh leaving his lips. "What's wrong with the word vagina, Travy?" 

I get off the swing, glaring at him. "I hate you so much." 

"I love you too, Travy!!!" Phillip yells out after me as I turn to walk towards my house. 

I wish I could stay with him longer, even though he was talking about fucking genitals, I would much rather listen to Phillip talk about that, then be beat and bruised by my father. 

While I walk back to my house, the words Phillip said keeps replaying in my mind. He couldn't possibly be right about what he said, could he? Does God seriously not care if someone is gay or not? 

I shake my head. Of course, Phillip wouldn't know, he's not even religious. But... What if I'm wrong, and he's right?