31 | ESCAPE

The blood drained from Piumi's face, and she backed away. Raya paused by the doorway—very much an overgrown cat with wisps of ectoplasm evaporating from her form. Her eyes shone like silver coins amid the deepening shadows of the room.

"This is Raya, in case you haven't guessed by now," Binara told Piumi, who appeared too shocked to respond.

The leopard perked up at the sound of her name and bounded up to Binara, who almost toppled over from the impact.

"Stop, you big furball." Binara tried to push off the feline, whose velvety coat felt fuzzier in the human realm. "What are you doing here?"

A deep purr emanated from Raya, and the pleasant vibration rolled into her. Binara finally extricated herself and found Piumi gaping at them.

"Raya's okay," Binara said. "You don't have to be afraid of—"

"C-can I touch her?" Piumi asked, eyes shining.

"Oh, um." She shrugged. "Yeah."

Piumi edged closer to Raya, her expression torn between fear and eagerness. When she reached out a hand, Raya sniffed it.

"Aw." Piumi looked like she would melt into a puddle. "I think she loves me."

"Uhuh." Binara crossed her arms.

"Binnie?"

"What?"

"There's something around Raya's neck."

Binara bent down. Sure enough, a string circled the leopard's neck, and attached to the front was a little note.

She stared at it for a moment. Then she reached out and unfolded it.

"What is it?" Piumi asked, her voice a mere whisper in the wind that blew from the balcony.

"It's from Diyan." Binara shivered as a frisson of excitement lanced through her. "He's sent me a location to meet up. Now."

Piumi's mouth formed an "O", and she whispered, "Where's the meetup spot?"

"He's drawn it—an empty plot of land not far from here." Binara jumped into action, packing her things into her backpack.

"Y-you're going back to Holmanloke?" Piumi watched the activity with wide eyes. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Yep."

"This is insane..." Piumi whooshed out air and paced the room. "Wait, why can't he...teleport you from your balcony? You said the mark on your shoulder makes it easier for him to get to you."

"I dunno. Maybe he's worried someone might see?" Binara ticked off a mental checklist of things she would need. "And he has to control his aura. At Mai Mara Cemetery, his aura, combined with Mahasona's, fried my equipment."

"How were you okay then?" Piumi frowned. "Demonic aura does affect humans."

"I dunno. Turn around—I'm changing." Binara opened her wardrobe and put together a battle outfit, which consisted of jeans and a black hoodie.

"I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe you're meeting the Black Prince," Piumi muttered under her breath as she kept on pacing. "Hang on, what are you gonna tell your governess?"

"I'm gonna leave a note to say I'm going on a trip. Though technically, I'm grounded."

"Just like that?"

"Mhmm." Binara ran to her table, took a pen and started writing a note.

Piumi shook her head. "You're insane."