Chapter 15

I was in Allison's car with her and Allison as we pulled up to Lydia's house where we were to drop her off. I still felt unbearably tired, but sitting down made me feel slightly better. Allison slowed to a stop as we rolled up Lydia's driveway, the silence in the car deafening.

Allison turned to Lydia, the two girls in the front while I watched in silence from the back. "I need you to promise that you won't say anything about what just happened."

Lydia scowled. "I'll promise not to say anything about what just happened if one of you tell me what the hell just happened."

I sighed. "It's kind of complicated."

Lydia shot me a glare. "Well why don't you start with, why was Derek there? Or where Jackson went? Or what's wrong with Erica? Or why you look like you're about to collapse."

Allison and I stayed silent, guilt churning in our guts. I wanted to tell Lydia everything; I really did, but Scott had warned me not to. He said it would be best if she stayed out of all of this, which meant lying to her about what really happened tonight.

At our silence Lydia snapped, "oh do you need a minute to come up with a plausible lie?"

"Part of the reason I'm asking is because Scott and I aren't supposed to be seeing each other, okay?" Allison said. "So it's better if you just keep what you know to yourself."

Lydia stared at Allison, face blank as an icy fire raged behind her eyes. "Fine. I'll keep what I know about you and your boyfriend- which is nothing- to myself."

Lydia opened the car door, about to get out of her seat when Allison grabbed her arm, Lydia stilling at the contact.

"Hey," Allison said, "he's not just my boyfriend. You get that right?"

Lydia's eyes flickered to the hand holding her arm. "Let me go."

Allison ignored her. "Just for one second please try and remember-"

"Remember what?" Lydia snapped, a wet sheen over her eyes as she tried to hide how much being in the dark hurt her.

"Remember what it feels like," Allison said, her voice soft. "All of those times in school when you see him standing down the hall, and you cannot breathe until you're with him. Or those times in class when you can't stop looking at the clock because you know he's standing right outside there waiting for you. Don't you remember what that's like?"

Silence filled the car as Allison waited for Lydia's response. I looked at my hands, feeling the tiniest bit of envy of Allison. I'd never felt that, never had that kind of love. I wish I had, but we're not all as lucky as Allison Argent.

"No," Lydia eventually breathed.

Allison sighed. "What do you mean 'no'? You've had boyfriends."

Lydia's eyes fluttered shut briefly. "None like that."

Then she was out of the car, like spending one more second with us would have been the end of her. We watched Lydia hurry up her driveway and enter her house, not giving us so much as a second glance.

When she was out of sigh Allison reversed out of the driveway and took us home. I still felt heavy and sluggish, so it was a relief to finally get home and collapse onto my bed. I didn't so much as blink before sleep grabbed me into its warm embrace.

. . .

When I checked my phone the next day, I had multiple missed calls from Scott and Stiles. They'd continued hunting the Kanima after I'd fallen asleep and had managed to capture him and put him in a police van.