Chapter 2

The meeting ended on an unpleasant note, and I stormed out.

I didn't understand why James had to treat me this way in my promotion meeting.

He could have told me in advance but chose the most embarrassing way.

David, the department manager I had hired years ago, was most indignant and refused to work, complaining on my desk,

"I heard that Lily got into trouble overseas and was fired by the company. Her reputation was ruined, and she couldn't find a job. That's why she's back!"

He continued,

"You saw how he was; we're all ignored while he's only concerned about his little lover. It's disgusting! I spit on it!"

I remained silent, staring blankly at my old desk, scratched and worn after years of use.

After nine years with the company, I needed my own office.

Back then, James had said that the company needed more space, and I went to his office every day anyway, so it was pointless to assign a separate office to me.

I naively agreed at the time.

But now, Lily had her office as soon as she arrived, with a luxurious redwood desk, chair, and a high-end Mac computer.

Then, I realized that all the excuses James gave me were excuses.

He didn't think I was worth it.

"Why don't you resign!"

David exclaimed, drinking his water and still indignant.

"I now understand the reasons were excuses; James felt I was not worth it."

'Why don't you resign!"

David drank some water and said indignantly,

"We are all working with you. I think this company is going to go under sooner or later!"

I remained silent momentarily and said softly,

"Can you bear to do it?"

He was stunned and remained silent.

We had fought shoulder to shoulder since the company was founded, and it was more than just a job for us.

XHA was the child I had brought up with my own hands.

I couldn't bear to let it go.

My colleagues were even more dissatisfied with the appointment of Lily as Vice President than I was.

Especially those in senior management;

we had worked together for so long and had no conflict of interest.

Our emotional ties were extraordinary.

Although they couldn't confront James directly, they still expressed their dissatisfaction privately.

Lily's work could have been better.

David, who was working with her, did not give her important clients but only unimportant or challenging ones.

Other departments' information could have been easier to obtain.

They only provided it when she requested it and did not provide it if she did not.

James angrily asked them about it, but they replied that they did not know what she needed and that they had given her everything she wanted.

James had no choice, so he turned to me.