-ˋˏ ༻8༺ ˎˊ-

**pretty big time skip**

She acted differently now— bothered, to say the least. Every interaction I had with her was beyond disappointing. She met my comments with harsh silence— neglecting even to tease me in the way she so loved.

Though it was clearly an external force, for I had done nothing out of the ordinary, her problem seemed to surround only me. She met the other crew members with her same enthusiasm no matter how forced it looked.
Growing fed up with the rift she'd driven between us, I watched her for hours one afternoon, searching for an opportunity to confront her.

I found one in her departure from a light-hearted conversation with Arvad about markets around Portofino— he had this divine power of bringing a smile to even the most apathetic of faces.

"Oh, Kalina, I've been wanting to talk to you," I held her shoulder as she attempted to look past me and ignore my voice. She finally stopped seeking escape once it was evident that I was onto her.

"A-are you doing okay? You look paler than me," I chuckled in an attempt to lighten her mood, "and pardon me if I'm wrong, but you've been rather distant recently."

"What're you talking about?" She refused my gaze and closed herself off from me.

I gently reached for her shoulder again, "You're avoiding me— and rather poorly. What is happening with you?"

"I don't know, I've been busy with this order thing."

"Busy? I might have been trained to draw my prying attention away from others, but even I've noticed how keen you are to avoid your duties when you want to mess with me."
"I'm realising that those little games aren't productive."

"What do you mean 'productive'? Your teasing would be no less productive now than it was before! Something has clearly changed. What was it?"

"Nothing's changed, kay? Go on back to the cabin, now. I've got work to do."

"No."

"The hell you mean 'no'? Go to the cabin now. That's a damned order."

"I said no. I am not going to leave again and let you tiptoe around me for another week!"
She abruptly threw me over her shoulder and carried me through the gun room to the crew's quarters and all the way back to our shared suite.

"What has gotten into you? Put me down!!" I flailed, but to no avail, she had me secured tightly to her shoulder even with one arm.
At last she entered her quarters and lowered me onto a plush chair turning to leave immediately. I saw her turn and grabbed her arm aggressively this time.

"Please, don't leave," I pleaded with her. She gave me the first moment of eye contact in ages. But I was heartbroken to see tears welling in her eyes. "What's going on?" I asked again, lightly tugging her closer to me. She gave in and fell slowly to the ground under me. I noticed her avoidance and tried to signal for her to sit with me on the chair, but she silently refused once again.

I pulled her head to rest on my knee as I stroked her hair. She shuddered, but I wouldn't let her move away. Not again. Or all of this would be thrown to the wind and she'd just keep ignoring me.

"Why are you acting so strangely? I just want to help you. I miss you. No matter how you irked me to my core with your incessant bantering and teasing."

She finally allowed herself to break down. I carefully wiped her tears as she faced me.
"T-the regiment has sent a warning to the naval forces and e—" she choked a bit, "even some pirating fleets. There's a substantial bounty on your capture."

"That's no problem. We've prepared for this and I trust you to protect me."

"Just don't! Don't, god dammit! I'm no match for the order. Nor are the Irish bastards, our archery fleet, or even Markos. It's fucking over. They're going to take you, likely violate you, and I won't be able to do anything. The only remnants of me you'll see's my blood coating your captors' blades."

"No it's not. I will do anything to protect you. And the crew for that matter. I'll end my own life sooner than I'll let some glorified snake charmers end your's. I am the bait and I'll milk that until it's dry."

"No, dammit! There's nothing you can do. I was as good as dead from infancy, but the Lord's given me 'bout 19 years I should've never seen. I've had my fill! You're a beautiful young lady with a life ahead of you. Please, 'Rora. It's over."

"So you're just going to give in? You're going to let the order paint your prized Εὐρυβία with your own blood? You're going to let your companions and crew mates die just to send me back to the life I tried to leave behind?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then you're fucking stupid."

"Who are you to tell me how to run my ship?"

"You're not even trying to run it! You're giving up and underestimating me, your crew, and yourself."

*******
MESSAGE FROM THE AUTHOR: Hey, this chapter is currently unfinished, but I wanted to post what I have of it, so I'll be going back and adding the rest. I just didn't like the way the rest of the chapter flowed, so I'm revising. Thanks for your time.