2, Cheesecake Pastry

Ember

The last hour before I was obligated to step through the portal, I had contemplated crawling into a far corner of the cave where no life exists. My mom was running everywhere, touching my hair and my face, crying to dozens of people - friends and family. While the other four girl's, their family was relatively normal. They cried, they hugged and they said their goodbyes. My mom always had a tendency to make big deals out of things. I remember when I turned ten, she was so excited I was in double digits that she had everyone celebrate my day. She had the growers make flowers of all colors and sizes, so me and the other kids could make flower crowns. She made the healers make ointments out of our flower crowns at the end of the day, something to use over time and remember. Those who could bend air, my mom had them put on a wind show for us. It wasn't that exciting, maybe if we had something to throw into the air at the time.

Renzo and I had tried to calm down my mom, but it only made her that more anxious. She had hugged us before running off to grab something, and when she returned she handed me a geode. I stared at it for a while, holding it in my hand like it'd fade away at any second. "Ivy put a protective shield over it, she was limited with herbs and whatnot so it's not too powerful, but it should protect you until you can find somewhere safe."

"What did you do to get this?" I whisper. "How are you going to pay her back?"

She swats her hand at me. "It was free, Ivy believes you'll find your mate. She thinks its the first step in the right direction in a .. very long time for us." She smiles, pulling me into her. I hug her back as my eyes find Ivy's. She's sheepishly smiling, watching from a distance. She was Ren's mom, almost a second mother to me. I can't believe how much energy she had to have put into this. She was a basic sorcerer, no special abilities. Most normal sorcerers could place protection spells and make barriers out of thin air. They were a vital part of our coven, despite how worthless they sometimes feel. I give her a small nod, in appreciation, and drop the geode into my bra. My dress didn't have pockets, and I couldn't carry it in my hand everywhere I went - so bra it was.

My dress was originally my mom's, who had gotten it from my grandma who then got it from her grandma. It was old, but in amazing condition. It was a sage green lace, according to my mom it was never this shade of green until recently. Age faded and dulled the original vibrant color. It flowed to my ankles, and hugged my chest. My mom always told me I had more boobs than her, and that the dress would be snug. She wasn't wrong. There was a built in corset, ridges running up my torso. There was a slit in the side that stopped just above my knee. It was beautiful, but I couldn't help but wonder how I looked in it. If it suited me or not.

My mom let me go, stepping back to look at me one more time. A tear slipped from her eye. "So pretty. My pretty baby." She cooed. I held back from frowning, swallowing the guilt I felt building up. I don't know how she still loved me after what I did. How she still thought of me as her baby and how she could stomach looking at me. I ruined her life. "Oh, it's okay. I'll be okay." She assures, running her hand across my cheek. She had thought my tears were for her, which they were, but not for the reason she thought. I knew she'd be okay without me. I knew Renzo would watch over her. I nod once.

"I love you, mom." I whisper. "I'm sorry." I could barely get the apology out, dipping my head.

She lifts my face, her eyes soft as they looked into mine. Deep down I think she knew why I apologized, but she refused to talk about it. She always did. "Don't apologize, I told you i'd be okay. I'm so - i'm so happy for you, you'll be happier up there. You'll have a good life." She sniffs, wiping her nose with the back of her hand. That's what she was thinking about? I didn't deserve a happier life, but she did and I wish I can give her that. No, I will give her that. Even if it kills me. "I love you with my entire heart, Ember." She finally says, easing the guilt in my chest. I was going to pull her into me again, but the ground rumbled almost sending me toppling backwards.