Chapter 2

I saw a car in the driveway as I walked to the door of my home. Opening the door, I tiptoed inside, so that mother won't see me but the universe is not in my luck today.

"Don't you dare walk out of here." I heard the angry voice of my mother from behind me and I stopped. Turning around, I gave her an awkward smile.

"Hi?" I tried to smile but it was a grimace, probably.

"Kahan thi tum? Or aese chupke se apne ghar main kon aata hai choron ki tarah? Abhi seedha yahi kapron main jakar guests ko salam karo or batao kahan thi. Abhi tumne 10 sawal mere liye tayyar rakhne the tumhare baba se." I'm so stupid. Surely, the guests would've questioned that if I was upstairs all this time then why didn't I come down to welcome them? If I just told the truth, I'd have a good reason. Kiya karti main apke baghair, Ami?

We walked towards the living room and I adjusted the scarf on my head. I heard the loud voices of my cousins chattering as I entered.

"Assalamualaikum." I greeted the grandparents first and they gazed at me with raised eyebrows.

"Ye meri bari beti, Noor hai. Jo law study kar rahi hai." Ami said to Dada and Dadi and they smiled at me.

"Main mazrat khwa hon ke mujhe dair hogai university se aane main. Suddenly, hamari ek important class reschedule hogai thi." I explained to them with a small smile when I felt a burning stare on the side of my head. Glancing around the room, my eyes landed on a tall, handsome and dark male sat across the room as if he owned it. Even when he is sitting, I could tell he's very tall.  He had jet black voluminous hair and the muscles of a giant. His suit was crisp, clean, holding his ripped body and the Rolex on his big hand shined, showcasing the small diamonds it was designed with. My eyes drifted upwards and landed on

his. Light green. Li

ke the color of the fresh, dewy leaves on a beautiful chilly morning. I couldn't hold his intense stare and glanced away quickly.

I just checked a man out.

Yo

u know there are some things that you say or do and realize that you did it afterwards? This is what happened to me at this exact moment. Gathering my thoughts, I addressed the elders again.

"I'll get freshened up and join you then." I didn't heard a word they said before as I was too busy gawking at their grandson. Unknowingly, my eyes betrayed me once again and I glanced at him as I walked out and realized one thing.

He had his eyes on me from the moment I entered the room.

**

************************

l wore a simple light pink chicken suit which complimented my complexion. I put on a little tint on my lips and cheeks and draped my scarf over my head. To be honest, I considered myself an average pretty. I wasn't beautiful or gorgeous. I figure myself to be a very common face.

"Oho, aj to api tayyar hokar ayi hain. Kya iraade hain?" Farah teased me and I rolled my eyes at her as I acquainted myself in the kitchen. I didn't eat anything since breakfast and I was starving. Just when I touched the fridge door, my hand was slapped away.

"Ouch!" I exclaimed quietly as to not disturb the guests. My mind meandered to the intense light green eyes before I was back to earth. It was Afia chachi.

"Uff, ye larki. Bas khana lagne hi wala hai. Table per refreshments hain. Help yourself. Phir khana lag jayega." She gave me a squinted stare and I sighed, bummed out. I don't want to go back in there. Afia chachi knew I was an introvert and didn't like to talk much, especially with strangers but she always pushed me to get out of my comfort zone and make friends. She's like a second mother to me and I know she cares for me but I hate socializing. It's not that I can't, I don't want to.

I walked to the living room and straight to the coffee table. Getting some kebabs and chips, I find myself being comfortable in the corner of the room though I could still feel his eyes on me. What's his problem? Has he never seen a girl before? I ignored him unlike before and ate my food. Amara sat next to me with a plate of her own and soon, we were conversing about random things.

As we chatted, I could see her sneaking a look at the direction of the intense green eyes. I think she has a crush on him and I understand why. I can't be too sure but her continuous peeps there were making me feel like a third wheel and I think he was also staring at her.

What a pervert! First, he was staring at me and now, he's staring at Amara. He literally looks like he's in his thirties.

What's wrong with being thirty and handsome?

He's not that handsome.

Huh! Keep telling yourself that but you know the truth.

To prove the point of my inside voice, I flicked my eyes to him. Damn, he could be the on cover of Forbes most beautiful man on earth.

Don't, Noor. You shouldn't.

Am

mi turned her attention to him and asked him a question that I'm sure Amara is curious about.

"Waleed beta, apka shaadi ke baare kiya khayal hai?"

"Ye to hamare jaane ke intezar main hain. Phir hi karenge shayad." Dadi jaan gave him a glare and he sighed.

"Ye baat nahi hai, aunty. Mujhe interest nahi tha shaadi main aj se pehle." Everyone was listening to him as this is the first time he's said something since arriving. As soon as he finished his sentence, his eyes locked on mine and my breath hitched. What- Why-?

"Ye kab hua, Waleed? Mujhe to batane ki zehmat nahi ki apne." Dada jaan said next and he looked at him.

"Apko kese batata jab mujhe khud thori dair pehle ehsaas hua." His words brought a chill down my spine as once again, he glanced at me before conversing with my mother. I noticed the knowing glimpses that Afia chachi, Farah, Ayesha and Rehan were sending me. I ignored them and was starting to continue my conversation with Amara before she stood abruptly and left the room. I frowned in confusion and remembered to ask her about this later.

"Noor, yahan aao." Ami called me who's still sitting beside the man, who's name I know now is Waleed. I got up hesitantly and was starting to sit beside Ami before she stood up and made me sit beside Waleed. I looked at her with eyes wide in panic.

"Waleed ne mujhe bataya hai ke usko bhi law main interest hai or usne kaafi study bhi ki hai law se related. Agar tumhe koi query ho to pooch lo." She told me quickly and went away before I could even deny. The air between us was so tense that I hoped the ground would swallow me. He tilted his head at me and a small smile graced his plump lips.

Shit! Kiya karon ab?