6. DEION

Heading to class with sore arms and legs was something I didn’t enjoy, but at least the hardest part about my day was over.

I walk into Thomas’ classroom, only seeing one person sitting at one of the desks. Aliyah had her head down, her eyes moving between her notebook and her laptop. She noticed me once I sat down next to her.

“Well look who decided to show up on time to class.”

“I was only late because Coach kept us over time during practice,” I said.

Aliyah looks at me, raising an eyebrow. “What’s your other excuse?”

“At least I actually come to class. Thomas should at least be happy about that.” I lean over to her. “What’re you working on?”

“Just writing down notes for my psychology class,” she says. “Are you nervous about the game tomorrow?”

“Nervous that everyone’s counting on me to win the first game of the season? Not really,” I say. “Coach has been on our ass all summer, so I think I got it in the bag.”

“Good for you.”

I watch as she continues to write, seeing some of her hair fall in front of her face. Why did I feel tempted to move it back?

“Take a picture. It’ll last longer,” Aliyah tells me, still focusing on her notes.

I grin. “As you wish, Alicat.” I whip out my phone and take a picture of her, the sound of the camera shutter getting her attention.

“Did you really just take a picture of me?”

I grin more. “You told me to, didn’t you?”

“I was being sarcastic. Now delete it.”

I look at the picture before looking back at her. “Mmm, nope. I think I’m gonna keep this.”

Aliyah sets her pen down. “Delete it, Deion.”

I give her a teasing smirk. “Are you gonna make me?”

She gets up from her seat. “It’s too early for your games, Deion.”

“Alright, alright. If you can take this phone out of my hands, you can delete the picture.”

Aliyah huffs in annoyance but moves over to me, trying to grab the phone. I moved my hand away quickly before she could grab it. “Too slow.”

“Come on, Deion.” Aliyah tries reaching for the phone again, but I move my hand up higher.

“You really don’t have quick reflexes, do you?”

Aliyah huffs again and tries to reach for the phone, but I stand up, holding the phone even higher.

She crosses her arms. “That’s not fair.”

The smirk stays on my face as I eye her. “Seems pretty fair to me.”

“…Fine.” Aliyah stares me down before she grabbed me by the strings of my hoodie, pulling me down. I was now at eye level with her, our faces inches away from each other. I felt mine heat up at how close we were. Still, I didn’t take my eyes off of her.

The stare down continued for a few more seconds before Aliyah reached out her arm, grabbing the phone from out of my hand. I move back as she deletes the picture before handing my phone back, sitting back in her seat.

I sit beside her as the other students start pouring in. I lean over to her, whispering. “What was that?”

“What was what?”