Chapter 14: The Serpentfolk

Worldbuilding: The Serpentfolk

Biology

The Serpentfolk are a race of snake-like beings native to the Sandorian desert. They once had a name for their own kind, but after milenia of being called 'serpentfolk' by the bipedal races, they came to adopt the term as their own. Few among them still remember the ancient name of their people.

They are on average 50 centimeters in diameter and can range from 10-15 meters in total length, depending on age. They grow continuously throughout their lives, and older individuals can become quite large. Size is a symbol of prestige and respect.

As a reptilian species, they are cold blooded. They are quite comfortable in the scorching heat of the Sandorian Desert. They reproduce by laying eggs rather than giving birth to live young. Trait variation among individual serpentfolk can include: venom, neck frills, color patterns, diameter to length ratio and magical aptitude.

Their upper body strength is greater than that of humans but weaker than that of minotaurs. However, their long snake bodies have incredible power. While constricting, they can easily apply enough force to crush human bones and can maintain that force for a considerable amount of time. This muscle endurance is also present in their arms, allowing them to carry heavy tools for longer periods of time.

Serpentfolk Image 1

This image is not my own, full credit goes to the original artist

Serpentfolk Image 2

This image is not my own, full credit goes to the original artist

Environment

The Sandorian Desert is mostly covered by large sand dunes. However, the Krass'Ebri Valley brings life to the desert. Its fertile banks are ideal for farmland and support a vibrant ecosystem winding through the otherwise barren desert. Serpentfolk civilization is mostly concentrated along the banks of the Krass'Ebri River.

The Serpentfolk divide their civilization into three regions: the Upper Region, the Lower Region, and the Delta Region. The Upper Region is mostly rural and consists of the majority of the Krass'Ebri Valley. The Lower Region is primarily the land enclosed on three sides by the Krass'Ebri River in the south. Nekhcamhet, the Serpentfolk capital and seat of government, is located here. This region is mostly urban, with several large cities and many impressive architectural projects.