Chapter 2 Marcellus

“Alpha Godwinson, are you absolutely sure about this? We know that Edina Bennett, the Cailleach of the Londinium coven has become an increasing threat to us all. Reforming the treaty now may only provoke her into declaring war on all ten wolf packs,” Alpha Corbin said. Alpha Corbin was the alpha of the second largest pack in all of England. He held a lot of power over the other alphas. And he happened to be the last one I needed to sign my new amendment. An amendment that would benefit all the wolf packs.

“I know about the threat that Cailleach Bennett poses to us all. Which is why once you sign the amendment, I will be personally going to the other 12 Cailleachs for their support. Convince them that this amendment will not harm anyone, in fact it will help us all in uniting against one common enemy… the vampyres,” I replied. I looked over at my beta, Carter. He held the folder that contained the amendment in it. We had been planning this meeting all week. And now we can finally bring alpha Corbin to the table. I had so many reports coming to my desk in recent years, so many alphas have seen an alarming number of wolves becoming mated with witches. Which was making the other alphas more amiable in amending the treaty. The only person making this difficult was Edwina Bennett. She was the one Cailleach holding firm to the original treaty. And since she had tremendous sway over the other Cailleachs, we had to find a way around her. We couldn’t keep allowing our kind to be murdered all because of some arbitrary rule. A rule that made no sense to begin with. I knew that as the alpha of the oldest wolf pack in all of England, I had the ability to call another Great Council. To finally bring an end to the hostilities and unite the two creatures under a single cause. I just had to bring about a consensus among the other nine wolf packs first.

“If I sign this Godwinson, both my pack and the other packs must have assurances that we will not see any retaliation from Edwina Bennett or  her allies. She has already sent some of her thugs into my territory to terrorize my pack,” Alpha Corbin demanded. He had always been fearful of witches and what they could do to us. But he had to see that we were much stronger than witches, that we had more power to control our animalistic side than a common bradacha. 

“I will deal with Cailleach Bennett when the time comes. That I can assure you. But first and foremost we have to bring the packs together under this new amendment. This will allow us to protect our packs and the witches that seek sanctuary with us. And as the alpha of the second largest pack, I need your commitment to this amendment,” I replied sternly. I nodded at Carter who took the amendment out and placed it on the desk. Corbin took out his pen and hastily signed his name below the names of the other alphas. 

“I pray to the goddess that you know what you are doing, Godwinson. If you don’t, we will have war on our hands. And you will only have yourself to blame,” Alpha Corbin replied stiffly. Carter let out a low growl, ready to defend his alpha. But I only held up my hand for him to be silent. I stood up, fixing my tie. I towered over Corbin like the alpha I was. 

“I have been on this earth for over 300 years, Corbin. I have seen those like Edwina Bennett rise and fall like spokes on a wheel. I will always do what is best for both my pack and our kind as a whole. Do not test me or my patience,” I growled through my teeth. Corbin merely just held his hand out and I shook it firmly. Carter then showed him out of my office. The moment he was out of my office and the door was shut. I collapsed back in my chair. Pulling my glasses off and rubbing my face. Feeling my scruff that has been growing for the last three days. It was almost midnight and I had been in my office since early this morning. Carter came over and took the seat that Alpha Corbin had been in. 

“You look exhausted Marc. When was the last time you slept,” Carter asked. I just stood up from my chair and sighed. Grabbing my phone and organizing the papers on my desk for my assistant to mail out in the morning. Numerous contracts that needed to be mailed out to my partners in the human world. I had many responsibilities; both wolf and human.