Tis The Damn Season

Chapter Eleven

'Tis The Damn Season

Before Betty knew it, the concert was coming up quickly. Mr. Stephens had been so impressed with Betty's song "Marjorie" that he decided it had to be the main feature of the club's concert. They asked the dance class to do some ballet choreography to accompany it, and the jazz band to help with backup music. The song turned out beautifully, and even Mr. Stephens was shocked at how good the performance was. He was proud of the work the students did, and the dress rehearsal gave him goosebumps and chills.

When the early morning of the concert arrived, Betty suddenly became sick with worry. As soon as her eyes opened off her pillow, the anxiety of all of it dawned on her with a mean vengeance. She panicked about the entire thought that others besides the music club members would be hearing her lyrics and words she had written, and her biggest fear of singing in front of people was going to be realized. She felt like an imposter: she didn't deserve to perform, she had no talent, people would laugh at her up there and it would be embarrassing and terrible and another chapter in Betty's novel of embarrassing moments. She had built it up in her mind so much that reality felt blurry and misaligned. She was a mess. Ivy and Grace would probably come to the show too, since Grace's older sister was a ballet dancer in it. Betty didn't know why she thought all of this was a good idea and was suddenly full of regret. As soon as she got to school that morning, she marched down to Mr. Stephens' classroom in a panic, hoping he could somehow free her of the responsibility of performing in the show that night, and help lift the extremely uncomfortable feeling weighing deeply on her.

"I can't do it." She told him, her eyes flushed with tears just waiting to start falling. "People will know the song is about me. It's too weird."

Mr. Stephens looked at Betty and said nothing at first. Then, he geared up for the best motivational teacher pep talk he could come up with on only one cup of coffee in his bloodstream so far that morning. Betty's song was the best thing the music club had and he knew it. The show needed it, and he wasn't about to let her take that away from the rest of the group.

"Betty, sometimes, the thing that scares you the most, means that you are on the right path. Many musicians and artists get nervous before they perform, it's all part of it. You just have to trust in yourself and do it anyway. The sky won't fall, nothing bad will happen, time keeps passing and it will soon just be a distant memory you will probably be very proud of. When we share our work, someone will connect to your words and your voice, and it might change them in a way you will never know. Don't be scared and never hide. Creativity is scary, but you were born to do this Betty!"

Betty finally realized that backing down wasn't going to be an option. Mr. Stephens had made that clear with his pep talk and she couldn't disappoint him. She loved and respected him. The idea of letting him down was just not a choice. She would have to hold back her upset stomach, raging heartbeat, and the closure of her throat she felt as every minute moved her closer to having to walk on stage at 7 pm.

Inevitably, the time came for the show to begin and the school's theater was packed full of people. It was so packed that some audience members even had to stand at the back. Betty was still sweating with nerves. She was feeling sick and trying to conquer it by taking deep breaths. She peered out stealthily behind the curtain with some other music club members. She could see Ivy and Grace sitting in the third row. They were chatting and laughing at something on Grace's phone. Then she saw James sitting alone, a few rows up from them. Had he come to see her? Why was he sitting alone? Betty couldn't think of anyone else in the show that James would have known to come for. Knowing he was in the audience made her terrified and delighted all at once. She wasn't sure why she still wanted James' approval. He looked so cute and sweet sitting all by himself in the dark theater. He wore a button-up collared t-shirt and had combed his hair back.

It was now showtime and time felt like it sped up for Betty. When it was time for Betty's song, everything went exactly as rehearsed, but even better. The band, the ballerinas, the singers, and Betty playing acoustic guitar. The stage lights were warm and so bright, Betty was grateful she couldn't see anyone, especially James or Ivy sitting there watching her. It was an out-of-body experience for her, and after it was over she could barely remember it actually happening. She had played the song perfectly, and it was truly beautiful. Mr. Stephens' smile gleaned from backstage, and he had goosebumps all the way up his arms. The audience let out a very loud and supportive cheer for the group. It was the proudest moment so far in Betty's life. And if she didn't know better, for a split second, she thought she could see Marjorie's beaming smile sitting far back in the audience, cheering her on.

After the show, the music club had planned a small after-party at Emma's house. They all walked there together. It was a cold and dark night but Christmas lights lit up the houses and streets. Snow started to fall and Betty walked with the group as they all laughed and reminisced about the show. She felt grateful for this new group of friends she had made.

After the show, James got into his truck and sat there idling in the school parking lot. He decided he needed to talk to Betty. He knew Betty had gone to the club's party and he would show up at Emma's house with a bouquet of flowers. He wanted to apologize to Betty. He was nervous. He didn't know how she would react to him just showing up like this. He didn't know if she would still be mad at him or if she would be happy to see him. He decided to go anyway and try his luck.

"Do you want us to tell him to go fuck himself?" Emma and another girl asked Betty inside the basement where the party was after James showed up at the front door. They knew exactly what James had done to Betty and they were not impressed by him. They thought James was a sleazebag and weren't afraid to tell their friend how they really felt about him.

"No, it's okay. I'll go talk to him." Betty couldn't believe that James had shown up like this.

Betty saw James outside the front door of Emma's parent's front yard. James wasn't dressed very warmly. He stood there looking cold and a bit sad in his cute collared t-shirt. His styled hair was messed up from the water of the melting snowflakes.

"Betty, your song was amazing." James didn't know what he wanted from Betty, but deep down he needed her to tell him that she forgave him.

"Thank you." She said and he gave her the flowers.

"I was wondering... if you're still mad at me for everything I did to you? I'm sorry..." He stuttered and tripped over his words. He felt embarrassed to have just shown up at Betty's party on her big night. It was a stupid idea, he thought.

Betty led James back to Emma's backyard. The garden was frozen and the grass was covered in a sprinkle of fluffy white powdered snowflakes. The two stood there silently for a few moments. Betty took her winter coat and put it over James. She had a thick cardigan underneath. Betty was selfless and loving, even if James had treated her badly, and she didn't want him to freeze tonight.

James went in for a kiss. Their lips fit together so softly. His nose was cold and she wanted to hug him and hold him. He put his arms around Betty and the two stood there together under the falling snow, holding each other. It felt right and nice. Betty felt elated, it was too good to be true. She wanted to stay wrapped up in his arms forever.