Chapter 1

The Beginning of the Royal Family of Württemberg

New Palace, Stuttgart
May 22nd, 1800

After their wedding in London, the Hereditary Prince and Princess of Württemberg finally arrived at the New Palace, marking the end of a four-day journey.

As the carriage pulled up to the palace, the new Hereditary Princess clutched the delicate lace handkerchief in her gloved hands. She took a deep breath, feeling a mix of excitement and trepidation. The Hereditary Prince offered a reassuring smile as they descended the carriage steps.

Nervously clinging to her new husband's arm, Charlotte let him lead as they descended from the carriage. Anxious about confronting her new home, the unfamiliar country, the people awaiting them, and the stepchildren she had yet to meet.

Friedrich presented his new wife to the staff, who stood in line at the palace entrance to welcome them. They were then informed that the young princes and princess were gathered in the nursery, eagerly anticipating their arrival.

"My heart races at the thought of meeting your children," she lowly admitted, taking a deep breath to try and relax her racing heart. "I hope they find room in their hearts for me."

"Fear not," he brought her hand up to his lips and kissed her knuckles. "You'll find them delightful, I assure you."

Glancing backward, Charlotte found Albert, Mathilde, Lauren, and Moira following her with reassuring smiles, each step reflecting their support. Leading the way ahead was her husband's right hand, Edward, guiding them towards the nursery. As they approached, the delightful sounds of laughter and playful chatter spilled out from the nursery, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.

"Here we are," they stopped right outside the doors. "Are you ready?"

"Of course," a tight and nervous smile graced her face.

The world around the Hereditary Princess came to a standstill as the nursery doors swung open, revealing three enchanting children. The eldest prince, a mere nine years old, boasted bright blonde curls, piercing blue eyes, and an air of maturity that belied his age. The middle child, a six-year-old princess, exhibited a crown of golden locks and possessed a gaze both curious and fierce, reminiscent of her late mother as her husband had mentioned. Lastly, the youngest prince, a tender three years old, sported light brown hair, captivating blue eyes, and a subtle yet endearing smile.

In that transformative moment, Charlotte found herself at a loss for words to express the profound emotions welling up within her. A surge of protectiveness, a sense of possession, and a newfound maternal instinct stirred within her, a tapestry of emotions she had never experienced before. A delicate gasp escaped her lips as her eyes absorbed the breathtaking beauty of the princes and princess. While she had anticipated their loveliness, witnessing their charm firsthand left her utterly captivated.

"Papa!" The youngest, Paul, ran to his father, and hugged his legs.

"This is Paul, my youngest," Friedrich chuckled as he patted his son's back in greeting. "Mein Sohn, erinnerst du dich, als ich sagte, dass ich mit einer neuen Mama zurückkehren würde?" My son, do you remember when I said I would return with a new Mama?

Without awaiting the boy's response, Charlotte gracefully crouched down, settling on the floor before him. Paul observed her with a mixture of curiosity and shyness, still seeking refuge behind his father's legs. Casting her gaze not only upon him but also on the other two children, she scrutinized their reactions, attentively awaiting their response to her next move.

"Ich bin nicht hier, um deine Mama zu ersetzen," the Hereditary Princess spoke with pure sincerity, then looked at the youngest boy in front of her. I'm not here to replace your Mama. "Ich verspreche jedoch, euch richtig zu erziehen und mich mit allem, was in mir ist, um euch und eure Geschwister zu kümmern." I promise, however, to raise you properly and to dedicate myself with all that is within me to care for you and your siblings.