Chapter 2

Later that day, Thea glanced at Atlas who was seated next to her in the back seat of the cab. He was staring out the window and he seemed agitated.

"It's just dinner."

Atlas turned to look at her,
"Yea, I know."

She studied him and he was silent for a moment.

"You're more nervous than I am."

"That's because you two are buddies already." He said, "I've never met her and I threatened her son."

Thea smiled,
"I don't think she knows that."

"Let's hope not cause dinner would be more eventful."

Thea kept her gaze on him and Atlas' gaze found hers,
"What?" He asked,

"Are you going to tell me what happened?"

Atlas looked away from her knowing exactly what she wanted to know. It felt like she already knew and was just torturing him to get it out of him, but there was just no way that she knew.

He sighed,
"Nothing..."

"...happened." She finished for him and looked away, "That's all you keep saying. But something did happen."

Atlas smiled at her,
"Do tell."

Thea turned in her seat to face him,
"You two no longer talk like normal people. You avoid each other and you get more uptight when I bring her up."

"You're wrong," Atlas said, "I don't avoid her. She avoids me."

"Yea, that makes all the difference."

Atlas sighed deeply,
"It's complicated."

Thea gasped,
"You're in a situationship."

"A what?"

"It's basically saying you're in a place where you're more than friends but not in a relationship."

Atlas studied her, trying to let the explanation settle before he asked,
"What do you call it when you are friends, but you're not entirely sure what you are anymore."

Thea smiled
"Estranged?" She said, "But it sounds a lot like a situationship to me."

Atlas fell back against the seat with a sigh,
"A friendzone feels better than this."

Thea's eyes lit up,
"I knew you liked her!"

"I've just started realizing it myself."

"You'll be fine," Thea turned again in her seat, away from him, "Also, maybe let's not pretend like you know what being friend-zoned feels like."

Atlas opened his mouth and closed it, clearly having nothing to say.

At the Adams' place, Atlas and Thea waited at the door after ringing the doorbell. Atlas inhaled deeply just as the door was pulled open.

"Hello." Brianna greeted cheerfully as she stepped back to let them through the door, "Come in. Welcome."

"Hi, Brianna." Thea said and went in for a hug, "Thank you for having us."

"Of course, darling." Brianna said and shifted her focus to Atlas, "And you must be Atlas."

"That's me." Atlas smiled, "These are for you."

Atlas handed her the bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolate,
"Thea mentioned you like tulips."

"That's so sweet," Brianna took them from him, "Thank you,"

"Thank you for having us."

"Come on in and have a seat while I go put these in a vase."

Just as Brianna turned and headed down the hall towards the kitchen, Joe walked in.

"Thea, it's always good to have you over." He gave her a side hug,

"Thanks, Joe." Thea smiled, "This is my brother."

"Atlas, am I right?" Joe put out his hand,

Atlas reached for his hand and shook it,
"Yes."

"That's not a very common name."

"Asides from the Greek god, I haven't heard of anyone with the name." Atlas quickly, "But I'm sure there are."

"Hmm, I can relate with parents who want their kids to have something that ties them to their roots." Joe offered them to take their seats and he did the same, "Bri and I were on the same page about naming our kids based on their Irish roots."

"Joe, please, you're boring them." Brianna walked into the room,

Joe glanced at her,
"I'm not," He looked back at Atlas and Thea, "Am I?"

Atlas and Thea smiled,
"Not at all," "Absolutely not." They both said,

The sound of the clicking of the door came from the hallway and they all turned to look at who it was. Killian had just walked into the house and he spotted Thea first.

"Hey," He smiled,

"Hi," She smiled back,

Killian's gaze dated towards Atlas in surprise,
"I didn't know you were going to be joining us."

"Killian!" Briana scolded him, "That's not how you treat our guest."

"I apologize. It's good to have you here." Killian turned to his mum, "I got what you asked for, mum," He said as he sneaked glances at Thea,

"Please, take it to the kitchen, hon," Brianna said, "Thea, why don't you help Killian unwrap the pie. I'm sorry I wasn't able to make some for you today."

"That's alright." Thea said and happily went after Killian,

"Can I please use the bathroom?"

"Of course, dear," Brianna said, "It's down the hall, first door on your right."

Atlas got up,
"Thank you."

"Did you say pie?" Joe asked Brianna as Atlas excused himself,

"None for you." Brianna said,

"C'mon, darling, just a bite."

"Fine."

"Maybe a slice."

"Oh, you!"

Atlas smiled to himself as their voices faded with each step he took further away from them. He had to admit, they were as sweet as Thea described. Killian and Kenna were lucky.

Kenna.
He thought as he found the door and stopped just outside it.

He could hear music coming from the door at the end of the short hallway. It was something familiar but he couldn't quite make out the sound to figure out what song it was. He ignored it and walked into the bathroom.

After taking some time to relieve himself and calm his nerves, he walked out and headed back down the hallway but stopped again. He'd been so busy listening to Joe and Brianna's cute moment that he'd missed the pictures on the cabinet. He glanced from one picture to the other and stopped when he caught sight of one of the pictures that made him pause.

It couldn't be.
He thought as he reached for it to get a good look but heard a door open. He quickly pulled back his hand and shifted his gaze to the end of the hallway where he'd heard the sound.

He held his breath as he watched Makenna step out and shut the door behind her. She turned and her gaze found his waiting ones then she immediately stopped in her tracks.

They stood on either side of the hallway staring at each other. Memories of that night came to mind and they were both reliving the moment together, but separately.