⁘⊰──────⊱⁘༻𖡼༺⁘⊰──────⊱⁘

The wind whips my hair and robes around, miraculously not making it tousled or unkempt. The wonders of this world, I guess. But it is a certainly liberating feeling to fly. The scenery around us is beautiful as well. "When do you think we're going to arrive at Cloud Recesses, MeiMei?" She adjusts her position to be closer to me, a warm smile as always on her lips. "Since we started traveling around the end of Mao, I estimate our arrival to be around the end of Si." I nod, smiling at her with gratitude. So from right now another two hours.

But my smile quickly fades as I feel a disturbance just up ahead. It feels like the opposite of the energy around our clan grounds, entirely unpure and full of resentment. I narrow my eyes as I can pick up a faint smell of distress and fear. "MeiMei, you continue on. I want to check something out." She looks at me with worry, shaking her head. "Let's at least go together, Heng Zǐ." "No, you go ahead and report to the Gusu Lan Sect." MeiMei flies closer to me, grabbing a hand of mine to hold in hers.

It pains me to see her this worried but I quickly shake off the feeling. "MeiMei." Her eyes widen a fraction, lasting for only mere moments before she bows her head. With that confirmation I shift my stance on Bái lóng zhī hún and speed up, descending towards the spot I feel the resentment in.

Thankfully getting there didn't take long, my feet landing on the ground with no sound thanks to me using Qi to keep me floaty and light. My sword partner stays afloat around me, remaining close to me while looking around. Growling makes me perk up, my steps still light as I approach the sound. Corpses. The resentment around them doesn't seem all that strong so they are low level, not even to be considered anywhere near fierce.

I decide to remain hidden for a bit longer, taking in the foreign surrounding to familiarize myself with the soon-to-be battleground. There's a lot of trees around, perfect for maneuvering and dodging attacks. The area around the corpses has enough open space to comfortably engage in close combat. It's just worrying how all eight of them want to get inside that one damaged tree... Could there be someone hiding in there?

A look to my blade with my hand extended gets the unspoken message across, a calming thrum echoing in our connection as it rests in my palm. And with that I use a small burst of my Qi to speed towards them, using my momentum and the element of surprise to take out one immediately with no problem, beheading the corpse. It falls to the ground as the resentment gets cleansed. One down, seven more to go.

Bái lóng zhī hún is guiding my movements as we go, the only thing I really need to do is adjust my footwork and utilize my tail. It honestly feels like a dance, graceful, light and rhythmic. My blade feels content, happy even to engage in battle, our bond thrumming with our energies harmonizing. With a twirl another corpse meets its end, my feet jumping on another one to dodge, another swing with my trusty sword and it follows it's brethren.

A smile is on my face as yet another one of the corpses is cut down, no place for fear in my heart. But a slight tinge of worry nestles in my stomach as my ears twitch, picking up a scared whimper from within the damaged tree in the middle of this small glade. There really is someone hiding in there..!

"Are you okay? Have you been injured?" I swipe my tail across the chests of the charging enemies, making them fly. That should buy me some time. My eyebrows furrow when the only answer I get is a gasp and a few more whimpers. Shit. I have to check by myself, then. With a swift cut another corpse is eliminated, the rest pushed back again. Using the small window I have, I jump to the big and broken tree, looking inside the hollow space within.

Surprise makes me widen my eyes, recognizing the person that is hiding from the corpses. That's Lan Zhan! As a young child! The approaching and ferocious growl makes me snap my head to the enemies again, quickly acting on instinct and scooping the young Lan heir into my free arm. "Don't worry, little one, I will keep you safe." The child clenches his small hands into my robe, hiding his face against my shoulder.