Chapter 24: A Misunderstanding

Maomao's three days at home went by in a flash. It hurt to have to leave after becoming reacquainted with so many familiar faces, but she couldn't just abandon her work at the rear palace. Not least because of the trouble it would cause for Lihaku, who had vouched for her. The final push came from the madam of the Verdigris House, who was even now trying to pick

the perfect sadist to make Maomao's first customer.

I'll just pretend I had a very pleasant dream. When she saw the slick Pairin and Lihaku, who resembled a pile of melting honey, Maomao reflected that maybe she had paid too rich a reward. The next place Lihaku would visit for pleasure was set in stone. Having tasted the nectar of heaven, he could never again be satisfied with the tepid offerings of earth.

Maomao felt a little bit bad for him. She was sure the madam would take him for all he was worth.

But that wasn't Maomao's problem.

And so she returned to the Jade Pavilion, bearing gifts, only to discover a nymph-like young man who seemed quite on edge. She could detect something toxic just the far side of his delicate smile. Why did he seem to be glaring at her?

His personality aside, he certainly was beautiful. The glare he fixed on her was a little intimidating. Maomao ducked her head, hoping to avoid the trouble of dealing with him, and tried to make a beeline for her room, but he got a solid grip on her shoulder. She felt his nails dig into her flesh.

"I'll be waiting in the sitting area," he said, his voice like honey in her ear. Wolfsbane honey, that was. Poisonous. Behind him, Gaoshun was urging Maomao with his eyes not to fight it. She saw Gyokuyou, too, whose eyes were sparkling even though she seemed a bit troubled. Finally, there was Hongniang, looking at Maomao with what she took to be reproach, and the other three ladies-in-waiting, looking on more with curiosity than concern. She expected to be well and truly interrogated after this was over.

Whatever this is.

Maomao set down her baggage, changed into her uniform, and went to the sitting area.

"You asked for me, sir?"

Jinshi was alone in the room. He was dressed in a simple official's uniform, but he wore it well. He was seated in a chair with his legs crossed, resting his elbows on the table in front of him. And to Maomao's eyes, he appeared to be in a worse mood than usual. Maybe it was just her

imagination. She hoped it was just her imagination. Yes, that's what she would go with: it was her imagination.

Jinshi's customary sedative, Gaoshun, was nowhere to be seen. Neither was Consort Gyokuyou.

And that made the situation unbearable for Maomao.

"I see you had a little visit home," Jinshi began.

"Yes, sir."

"And how was it?"

"Everyone seemed in good health and good spirits. That's what matters."

"Oh, indeed?"

"Yes, sir."

Jinshi said nothing further, so neither did Maomao. It was clear they weren't going to have much of a conversation at this rate.

Finally Jinshi prodded, "This Lihaku. What kind of a man is he?"

"Sir. He vouched for me to leave the palace."

How does Jinshi know his name? Maomao wondered.

Lihaku would yet become a regular customer. A major source of revenue. A very important person indeed.