pellis (skin)

Kalends of May (1st May, 44 BCE)

"Your hair is very unique. I've never seen anything like it," Gaius muttered as he ran his hand through Lucretia's pale hair.

"My mother used to say that it was a blessing from the gods," Lucretia responded, shifting so she was facing him, "that some ancestor of ours had pleased them and they had gifted us with silver hair to show their favour."

"I believe it," Gaius pressed closer to her, "if they were anything like you, then the gods chose the right people to show their favour."

Lucretia rolled her eyes and pressed a hand into Gaius's chest, "flattery shall get you nowhere brother. What do you want?"

Gaius smiled, "you always see right through me sister, you're husband knows this about Marcus Antonius's plans-"

"I have told you, Gaius, I try. But he does not tell me these things."

"You must-"

"No! Brother, leave this point behind us. I do not wish to argue it again."

Gaius's eyes softened and he placed his hand softly on Lucretia's cheek. The woman had sat up to look down at him, now her elbows relaxed and she fell back onto the soft bed. "My sweet sister, I am sorry. I know your husband's lack of care for you and your intelligence bothers you."

"As well it should." they both said in synchronisation.

Lucretia smiled at him and Gaius smirked slightly. For a moment they stared into eachothers eyes, then Gaius leant forward and kissed her deeply.

 For a moment they stared into eachothers eyes, then Gaius leant forward and kissed her deeply

Kalends of June (1st June, 44 BCE)

"We should speak more often," Agrippa said, placing his goblet of wine down on the table before him.

The two were seated in the tablinum in Lucretia's home, a month into her relationship with Gaius, Lucretia felt that she should know more about his closest friend. So the two had spent the afternoon drinking and discussing everything from Gaius's political actions to their childhoods.

"Yes, we should. Now where was I? Oh yes, my mother was an outspoken woman, she always spoke her mind. It is what drew my father to her I believe."

"So she is who you got your personality from?" Agrippa asked teasingly, leaning slightly towards her.

"That's what pater always said," Lucretia smiled, "what of your mother? What was she like?"

Agrippa's smile dropped and he turned his head away, "my... my mother died giving birth to me."

Lucretia let out a breath, reaching over to take her friend's hand. "I'm sorry, my mother too died in the birthing room, the brother she bore also died."

Agrippa squeezed her hand, the two leant closer in shared grief. "I am so sorry, truly. That you experienced this grief. Not knowing my mother is the greatest fear and I must say that you deserved her love." Lucretia whispered, placing her other hand on Agrippa's cheek and turning his head towards hers again.