A favour

ADAM'S POV

Eight hours flying and thirty minutes trying to get the airport paparazzi out of my way, I sat in my Audi, speeding down the lanes of New York. I was jet lag as hell. My eyes were heavy and my head had this damned ringing sound that made it so damn unbearable to think.

But I couldn't stop.

I had to see Mother as soon as possible.

Oh she must be so scared. Anabelle would've cried her eyes out, worried to death. I had spent the entire flight, thinking about the possible reasons why my mother could have suffered a heart attack, but I couldn't come up with one.

Not one.

She had a nurse who tended to her. A cook who was supposed to tend to her but Mother was too damned stubborn for her own good and could still insist on making her own meals. I could imagine her green eyes flashing in anger whenever the cook tried to get her out of the kitchen.

Could that be what made her sick? Had she stressed herself beyond her limits? Fuck! I hit the steering wheel, trying to vent my frustration. I hated feeling so damned helpless.

When her heart condition started, I had all of registered myself in med school so I could become a doctor and take care of her myself! It had taken Sally, mother and Anabelle to convince me not to follow through with it.

Now I wish I did.

I would not be stuck depending on some other man to take care of my mother. I would do it myself. And I sure as hell would make sure I do a good job of it.

I swerved sharply at a turning that led to the hospital. The traffic on the streets grew denser, slowing me down much to my frustration. My phone buzzed in the phone holder attached to my dashboard and I tapped the ear piece attached to my ear.

"Anabelle," I mumbled.

"Are you here?" She asked, her voice soft as she spoke. She no longer sounded terrified. And that was a fucking relief. It meant mom was safe, for now.

"In a minute," I grumbled, slamming the steering wheel, beeping loudly at other cars. Fuck! Why couldn't they get their fucking excuse for cars off the damned road! The sooner I got to seeing my mother, the quicker I could fix whatever mess, whatever problem she had.

"Okay, mom just wanted to confirm," Anabelle replied ..

"She's awake?" I asked. Kicking up the engine when the cars before me picked up the pace. I stepped on the accelerator, charging through the road, trying to get to the hospital as fast as possible.

"Yeah," My sister mumbled. "And she keeps calling me.out,"

I chuckled lightly. That sounded a lot like mother. Once she was fine, she was as spunky as ever. I was definitely going to get an earful when I got to the hospital. She would most likely tease me for being all worried about her.

As if I ought not to be.

She was all I and Anabelle had. I could not lose her. I would not allow it. If I had to wrestle death, I fucking would.

"Why?" I asked, swerving into the parking lot of the hospital.

"She keeps saying I shouldn't have called you! And that I'm a cry baby!"

"Well she's not wrong," I mumbled, finding the perfect place to park.

"Adam!"

"Sorry buttercup. See you in a bit,"

"Thank God," She sighed dramatically and I snorted, turning down the ignition.

Peterson and Co was a family clinic we used and the doctors there had proved themselves useful countless of times when it came to my mother. I didn't care if they did it because it was their job, or because of the huge ass donation I made there every month. As long as my mother got the optimum treatment. I was good.