31

(A massive fire burns as the Cullens and the wolves hurriedly drag what's left of the newborns to it for the incineration. A purple-black smoke rises.)

(Edward and Bella race out of the trees, bee-lining for Alice and the rest of the Cullens gathered near the fire.)

"How long?" Edward asked.

"A few minutes. Maybe ten." Alice told him.

(Bella scans the field for Jacob as --)

"They timed their arrival well." Rosalie said.

Josie nodded. She was right.

"Probably hoping the newborns took a few of us out." Edward said.

(Edward stops as he sees someone by the fire --)

"What's she doing here?" Edward asked.

(Bella looks to the fire – by which cowers the newborn BREE.)

"We offered her safe haven if she stopped fighting, she took it." Esme said.

"The pack needs to leave. The Volturi won't honor a truce with the werewolves." Carlisle said honestly.

"Where's Jacob?" Bella asked.

"There..." Edward said.

(BELLA'S POV – ON THE TREELINE CLEAR ACROSS THE FIELD.)

(JACOB-WOLF emerges. Bella sighs with enormous relief. He sees her as well, starts toward her – but suddenly – he hears a vicious snarl coming from behind him in the woods, spins to SEE--)

(IN THE WOODS – A light grey wolf (Leah) cornering one last male newborn who was hiding. Leah charges--)

(ON EDWARD WITH THE CULLENS – he can't see the conflict, but he can hear it in his mind.)

"Leah, don't!" Edward shouted.

(BACK ON LEAH-WOLF AND THE MALE NEWBORN IN THE WOODS)

(The male newborn maneuvers out of her way, spins and GRABS HER RUFF, fiercely YANKING her off her paws but--)

(Josie is suddenly feeling protective of the other female wolf. She steps forward.)

(JACOB LEAPS ON THE MALE NEWBORN, tackling him – they roll into – THE CLEARING – where Jacob BITES A PIECE OF HIS FACE OFF.)

(But the male newborn gets his ARMS AROUND JACOB AND CRUSHES HIM! Jacob HOWLS in agony.)

(Bella sees this from afar.)

Bella: Jacob!

(THE OTHER WOLVES are instantly there and pounce on the male newborn, their teeth forcing him to release Jacob who crumples to the ground. As they pull him apart, the newborn seems to be a smart one though, managing to slip through the wolves, making a last ditch effort to cause mayhem, but suddenly Josie is there, golden eyes out teeth elongated into large and sharp fangs, she bites his throat. Suddenly the vampire goes down, screaming in agony as his body twitches, he erupts into flames--)

(Edward and Carlisle appear at Jacob's side.)

(ON BELLA – RACING across the field to reach Jacob.)

(ON JACOB AS TRANSFORMS INTO A HUMAN, naked, grotesquely twisted and broken, barely able to breathe. Carlisle quickly examines him as he writhes in pain; Edward steadies him, gripping his hand.)

"Hold on, Carlisle is gonna take care of you." Edward whispered to the boy.

"The bones on the right half of his body are shattered." Carlisle said.