Chapter 7

Mally slid Rat's saddle off and hung it over the branch. They needed to set up their tent, but that could wait. In the meantime, they needed to brush Rat down. They slid off his halter so they could brush him properly, and they got his brush out of the saddlebag. With smooth motions, they slowly began to brush the paint down, making sure to get his legs, neck, and face. There was a lot of hair coming up, but they didn't mind it so much. He was just shedding.

"Can I help?" came a voice from behind them, and they froze up. Artesia. Again. They resisted the urge to drop their head against Rat's ribcage. Instead, they turned around and forced a smile.

"No, that's okay. I only have the one brush," they replied, and Artesia looked a little disappointed.

"Well, then can I sit and watch?" she asked, and Mally nodded. She sat down on the rock and balanced her chin in her hand, and Mally continued to brush down Rat. "You take good care of your horse."

"Thanks," they said, and continued to brush. "Aren't you supposed to be eating right now?"

"One of my men is making veal stew for me," she replied. "So, I'm waiting."

Veal stew sounded absolutely divine right now, but Mally could content themself with hard cheese and bread. They would have to pick up more provisions in the next town. They were running a little low.

"Mm. Sounds good," Mally said as they brushed down the length of Rat's back.

"Would you like some?" Artesia asked, and Mally gave her a smile.

"I'm not going to take your food," they replied, and she laughed.

"Why not? There's plenty for everyone," she said, and Mally hesitated. "Come on. Just eat it."

"I'll be fine," Mally promised, and Artesia pouted.

"Come on," she said with massive golden eyes, and Mally hesitated. Should they?

"Alright," they said, relenting somewhat, because they had a feeling she would be hurt if they continued to refuse, and she brightened up.

"Excellent!" she said, and Mally continued to brush down the horse.

"You're going to the capital for the debutante, aren't you?" Mally asked, and she nodded.

"I am, yes," she replied, and Mally eyed her.

"Kinda weird that you're doing that as a priest."

"Ah... Well..." Artesia trailed off, and Mally wished she would stop being so bad at keeping secrets. It was a blessing in disguise no one would think to question her on if she came from another world or not.

"You're fine," Mally said with a snort, and crouched down to brush down Rat's legs. "I'm sure you have your reasons."

"I'm not looking forward to the boutiques to pick dresses," Artesia muttered, and Mally internally winced. Yeah, they wouldn't look forward to that, either. Thank gods they slit their own throat.

"Noble life sounds complicated," Mally said, and Artesia flushed.

"It... it is," she replied, and Mally moved on to the other leg.

"I've heard dresses are your armor," Mally murmured, and Artesia was quiet.

"Not all of us are made for armor," she said quietly, and Mally gave her a sympathetic smile.

"You're right," Mally said, and moved around Rat so they could continue to brush his legs. "But, I'm sure you'll have a good time in all of those fancy dresses. You'll probably feel beautiful once it's all said and done."