Chapter 8

Just as Veldin promised, in the days that followed, he began to get Will involved in his research. He started by bringing a vial of cells into Will's lab explaining, "This is my own personal neuronal cell line. Be very careful with it. There are a few things I'd like to try out with them, and I was wondering if you would conduct the experiment I have outlined here."

Will took the vial carefully, transferring them to the incubator in his lab with the utmost care. "Of course, of course I will."

"Good. Good, good, good." And with that Veldin handed off the lab procedure to Will and left him to it. He returned sometime later for the results, and bobbed his head approvingly as he went through Will's notes.

"Ah, it's just as I expected. I wonder though..." he paused thoughtfully for a moment, "An experiment like this really needs to be conducted on a fully functional brain, not in vitro."

Will thought about this for a moment, knowing that Veldin was right—running the experiment on a living human brain would really be the only thing that could truly give them the data they were looking for—however, it would be extremely risky and potentially detrimental to the brain involved. "Well, perhaps you could get approved for a clinical trial? Maybe with terminally ill patients?" Will suggested.

"Possibly," Veldin allowed, "But what if there was an altogether different option?" His shrewd eyes were gleaming knowingly, and Will got the feeling there was something Veldin wanted to tell him. But then just as quickly, Veldin moved on, already explaining to Will the procedure for the next experiment he wanted to run on the neuronal cell line.

And so, for weeks Will and Veldin worked on this research together, and Will became very immersed in their absolutely astounding findings. But still he wondered about what Veldin had meant with his earlier comment about another option for their experimental set up. Especially since Veldin mentioned it again a time or two after that. Finally, Will decided to outright ask him.

"This option that you were talking about, for moving the experiments in vivo. What exactly are you referring to?" Will asked Veldin one afternoon as they cleaned up for the day.

Veldin produced a cool smile, "Well, Will, I'm sure you understand that research of that nature requires one of the highest security clearances we have here at Zenrad. It's not usually granted to new research fellows who have been with the company for a relatively short period of time."

Will nodded, disappointed, but not really too surprised. He knew it was a little foolish of him to get his hopes up that he could rise through the ranks so quickly.

But then Veldin winked at him, "You know what, though, I see real potential in you. I would love to have you become part of my elite team, if you think you are up for the job. The nature of the work is of course of the utmost secrecy, so your discretion would be expected. You can speak of it to no one."

Will could hardly believe what he was hearing. He leaned forward, nodding his head up and down probably one too many times in his reverence to Dr. Veldin.

The smile did not leave Veldin's face, and he leaned in now too, as if he was about to let Will in on a very important secret. "What if I told you that I have created a living, working model of the human brain?"

Will blinked in astonishment, momentarily speechless. It was an impossibility, but if anyone was actually capable of it, Will knew it would be Veldin.

"Wow, that's...that's astonishing," Will said finally.

Veldin nodded in self-satisfaction. "How about I show it to you. Tomorrow."