Chapter 3

Up close the burnt up trees looked far worse than from the window Bastian had first discovered the fire through. Where there used to be a full forest now remained scorched wood and ashes, you could see for miles where you used to not be able to see past the next tree.

The prince made his way through the destruction carefully, his horse all but radiating anxiety, causing him to tense up along with the animal. The atmosphere was terrible, the air was thick and it was completely silent except for the horse's steady footsteps.

On his way he passed a peculiar place, a village with the remains of houses too small for any human. His heart hurt at the thought of all the fantastical creatures that were wiped out during this tragedy and suddenly he realized just how glad he was he'd disobeyed his mother. What if he found survivors in the rubble? Or better yet, what if he found the origin of all those people's suffering and was able to neutralize it?

That is a king's duty, not sitting around the castle, waiting endlessly and then some more. The Queen had no idea what she was talking about, Bastian's father was a brave man, his death was honorable and the people remembered him as a just ruler. While the prince barely had any memories of him himself, he was sure all of the rumors were true, his father was a hero, who died protecting the weak and spent his life fighting for his kingdom. Bastian would feel honored to step into his footsteps.

He pulled the reigns when he thought he heard something and held his breath only to be reassured of his hearing, there was an familiar sound coming from nearby, it sounded almost like breathing or maybe crying, perhaps a survivor? Bastian got off his horse quickly to investigate, making a point to walk hastily yet quietly just in case he'd run into something unexpected.

Run into something unexpected he did when he discovered a creature leaning over a tree stump, holding onto it with both arms as though it might fall over if they were to give out beneath it's weight. Upon further inspection it resembled a girl, the long brown hair covering most of her face in the position she found herself in.

Without a second thought Bastian approached her. "Hello, are you okay? Were you-", he cut himself off when her head snapped in his direction in surprise, she must have not heard him coming, too occupied with trying to regain her breath.

After meeting her gaze Bastian realized his mistake and pulled his sword. Instead of being met with friendly eyes it was all but flames, literally, the fire seemed to come out of the seemingly empty sockets. This must be a demon then, a careless being that finds joy in other's suffering, a creature from hell and most of all a threat to his people.

"I grant you one chance to give up peacefully, otherwise I will have no choice but to slay you.", there was an edge to his words, a perfect contrast to the blade he held pointed at the other.

There was no warning to the sudden burst of flames that only barely didn't reach the human prince, the demon seemed to use the force to propel itself a few feet into the air and away from the other. It was running and it was getting away fast. Bastian had to make the decision to go after it quickly.

"You asked for it.", he hissed through gritted teeth as he held the sword out to the side, ready to swing for the demon whenever he'd get the chance. Though, before he could do so the creature realized his proximity and another burst of flames hit a nearby tree that was still standing through nothing less than a miracle.

For a moment Bastian though it had simply missed him though a moment later he realized that it hadn't been aiming for him in the first place. The tree fell forward and barely missed it's target when Bastian stopped dead in his tracks to dodge, causing the other to once again gain the advantage and continue running away.