Chapter 5: One for the History Books

"Hey guys, sorry for the little break, a lot of shit happened. So, for your patience, I have made this extra-long chapter. I hope you all enjoy."

_______________________________________________________

It had been a few days since the Leah was quite literally, dropped at their front door, and the commander was dying inside as he sat at his personal desk and went through long incident reports regarding one handler and unknown dragon. The disdain for paperwork clear on his face as he went through what Leah had told him had happened when she, against all rational thought, snuck out into the ancient forest and contacted by her words a "terrifyingly smart Elder Dragon." he was currently looking at the sketch Leah had taken of the dragon during her time with it. 

While it wasn't professional, it was well made and had good descriptions of certain details, and many crossed out potential names. The drawing would have to be remade by an official guild artist while the guild officially named the beast. Speaking of Leah and her partner, he had assigned them to look into rescuing a lost scholar in the wild spire wastes while the researchers tried to pinpoint Zorah Magdaros's Location. 

As he continued through the literal mountain of paperwork, he was interrupted by his grandson. (I'm calling him matt for convenience cause Matt Mercer voices him and it's tedious to write Field team leader all the time.)  "Grandfather, they've returned, and they have the scholar. The researchers have also wanted me to inform you they've projected Zorah's next move." The commander nodded and stood from his desk as he moved towards Matt. "Good, gather the council." He replied as they stepped out into Astera and moved towards the council table.

Once the council had been gathered and both Leah and the Hunter were both present, the commander began to speak, cutting off any side conversations going at the table. "Gather around everyone, we're ready to begin. Thanks to you, we've made great strides towards understanding the tracks that have turned up across the continent. Our researchers have done some projections and now we know where Zorah Magdaros will go next. Its heading for the Great Ravine."

Leah soon responded. "The Great Ravine, the huge valley past the Wild spire?" The commander gave an affirmative nod and began to speak again. "Correct. So, I have a proposition for all of you. I say we try and capture Zorah once it gets there." "Have you gone mad!?" The provisions manager questioned as the Analytics director repeated "Capture it?!" The commander cut them off. "Hear me out! The ravine is the perfect terrain for staging such an event. We're not going to get a better chance than this." The commander looked around the table as the Chef spoke excitedly. "I like the sound of this." 

"If we don't take THIS opportunity, it could be a decade before the next opportunity presents itself, maybe longer." The Chief Ecologist spoke as the voice of reason on the commander's behalf. The Second Fleet Master looked towards the commander and began to speak. "Is it even possible?" he asked before the commander immediately responded. "If I said it wasn't, would that stop you?" Almost immediately after he finished speaking, the Tech Chief yelled out. "Let's give it a go! With the Fifth supporting us, our chances are as good as ever!" The commander smiled then spoke. "Then it's settled!"

Matt then stepped forward and began to speak. "Before we send the hunters out for the capture, we need to secure Astera. An Anjanath has been active in the area, not the kind of monster to mess around with. And I'm worried about the unknown Elder Dragon." The commander regarded him before looking towards Leah and the hunter. "Your right. Hunters, you have your next assignment. Take care of that Anjanath. But be careful, the Anjanath is a fearsome monster, one slip up and you're done. While you hunt, I want you on the lookout for any tracks or signs of the Dragon. Leah, you have had contact with it already, but we need all the evidence we can get for the guild." Receiving nods from the duo while the Chief botanist began to speak. "Commander if I may. I think I have a great idea."