Chapter 14: Firearm Demonstration

TL: Etude

"How many years has it been since I last came here? Over a decade, I suppose?" The old knight gazed at his hometown, Lakeheart Town, in the waning sunset.

His attendant chuckled and said, "I bet Lord Schroeder can hardly wait, huh?"

"Just now, I was quite excited, but suddenly I thought, apart from those old friends who occasionally correspond, I wonder if any other townsfolk still remember me." A wave of inexplicable sadness surged in the knight's heart, and his horse, sensing its master's mood, slowed down.

The young attendant consoled him, "After all, it's been over a decade. It's understandable if they don't remember. Anyway, you won't be leaving again, so there's plenty of time for them to get to know you again."

"You're right, Joyce. There's no use being sentimental. Let's face it head on. Giddy up!" The knight shook off his melancholy, flicked the reins, and the horse joyfully trotted again.

"But what about you? Do you regret following this old man to such a rural place?"

"Not at all. I still have much to learn from you! I won't leave until I've completely emptied your treasure trove of knowledge."

"Oh? That will depend on your skills..."

...

"Knight Bryce, oh no, it should be Commander Bryce, is currently on a campaign against pirates with the lord. He hasn't returned yet," said Bryce's neighbor.

"Thank you."

After thanking him, Schroeder turned to his attendant and said, "It seems the pirate problem here has resurfaced! Well, let's clean up the old house first and visit Bryce when he returns."

And so they headed towards the Schroeder family's old house.

Along the way, Schroeder observed the streets of his hometown. He hadn't paid much attention in his hurry earlier, but now he noticed that, although the basic layout hadn't changed much, the town was considerably cleaner. There were objects labeled as "trash bins" at intervals, presumably for public waste.

"Cleanliness-wise, even the Royal Street in the capital might not compare," he mused.

"Hmm? What's that? 'Hot Water Shop'? What does it do? Is it a unique store here?" Joyce, the attendant, noticed a shop he had never seen before.

"I don't know. I don't recall such a shop from my memory," the old knight was equally puzzled.

Just then, they saw a detachment crossing the floating bridge to the island but not heading towards the main street of the town. Instead, they took another path and disappeared.

"Uh... It seems the outcome of the pirate campaign isn't very optimistic," both the knight and his attendant thought simultaneously.

...

"That's how your grandfather cleared my family's debt and even funded my studies in the capital. He later recommended that I join the Northern Legion at the Long Ridge Fortress."

In the castle hall, Knight Schroeder concluded his introduction.

"And you returned to Lakeheart Town because...?"

"When one gets old, they long to return to their roots. So, I resigned from the military and decided to settle back in my hometown."

Schroeder's words slightly moved Paul. The excitement of being a transmigrator had considerably waned after yesterday's failure. He wondered if he could ever return to his 'original home'.