One More Time (I Will Wait)

Mars did what had to be done. But he wished it didn't have to go like this.

They were in Earth's orbit, just he and Earth. Venus and Mercury had returned to theirs, as per Sun's orders. But they were given enough freedom that they could visit Earth often, and that Mars and Venus would take turns watching over Earth to make sure no accidents happened. — It had taken tons of pleading by Mercury to Sun before they'd reached this compromise. Thankfully the star was sympathetic when he found out what had happened so he hadn't been as strongly opposed as he would have been any other time.

But moving on — Mars has been with Earth for a while now. It wasn't really any different to following his own orbit.

Earth's atmosphere was gone, Mars noted silently.
Well that was what he had intended, of course. But he'd grown so used to the soft and lovely aura that had framed Earth's head, that seeing him without it was a little bit off putting. Never mind the large crack dangerous near his right eye.

They had tucked Earth's knees close to his chest and wrapped his arms around his legs — to prevent the chances of any grievances.

It's been a while since Mars was able to see Earth's face up close. He wished it'd been under different circumstances though.

They left his face alone when they adjusted his posture — Mercury had advised against touching it — so now Earth was left with a haunted look, his eyes blown wide and a deep frown, cruelly twisting his face into a text book horror victim.

Mars hated it — such a terrible expression didn't belong on his face.

He was tempted to place his hand on his face, and close those fear stricken eyes. Instead he flexed his fists, keeping them tight by his side.

If he looked closely, he could almost make out where each layer ended and another began—

Stop that...

Mars' face pinched and he turned away, feeling slightly ill.

He hated seeing Earth like this.

If only Earth hadn't been so stubborn...

...No, Mars shouldn't blame him.

He's always been headstrong like that... Long before the Earthlings had come along, Earth was and still is a strong-willed planet with ambitions and beliefs that he clung to like a lifeline.

It was a part of his charm, he supposed. So it wasn't something Mars could fault him for.

And Earth loved his life a lot, more than he did them. He'd just about do anything for the Earthlings (Mars should know). Of course he wouldn't have complained about the trouble they've been causing him.

...

Mars shouldn't have been so blind. Earth's situation wouldn't have gotten as bad as it did if he'd have done something about it sooner.

Maybe things would have gone differently.

Unless their head was completely destroyed, one couldn't truly tell if a heavenly body had died.

Earth's going to wake up. He'll wake up and he's going to be angry at Mars for what he did. — And maybe refuse to talk to him for a couple hundred millennia.

But that's okay. He'll forgive him eventually. However long that might take.

Mars could wait.

Ganymede had dragged him away from the main base of the revolution and left him tied to a giant asteroid. He could still see the crowd of moons in the distance from where they had left him tied to an asteroid, but it was far enough that he couldn't hear their conversation anymore.