Locked Away

I emerge from the bathroom hours later, feeling completely empty. My entire system has gone numb. I know I've lost the last few people I have let myself care about. If they were ever really there to begin with. Now. I truly am alone. Hardening my heart, I can't let anyone else in. However, when I look up my jaw drops... They are still here... How can that be? Matt looks utterly calm while the others look uncomfortable. Their eyes avoid me like I'm the plague. I stiffly wait for one of them to attack me.

      "What did you mean when you said you're like her?" Matt asked candidly. Surprised by his question. I quickly weigh the options of telling him the truth. Fiddling with my nails,

      "I'm not like the ghosted. I doubt any of you have seen how Ravenna turns people into one of them, but basically it happens because of a blue crystal. Once the blue crystal has been touched to a person's body it shuts them down. They are no longer in control of themselves. However, when Ravenna tried to turn me, something else happened." Swallowing I slowly continued, but refused to meet their eyes, "The crystal bonded with me in a way unlike the others. It gave me strength and powers. I've been able to think and make choices since becoming like this. However, I was only ten when I was cursed. I didn't really know I was different until I was able to control water. I didn't realize I was more like Ravenna until I was forced to become a member of her guard. When I finally could get away, I ran as fast as I could, but not before I stole something from her." Reaching up to clasp the pendant around my neck. "I ran and I've been trying to find a way to bring her down since."

      "Can I ask a question?" Wyatt hesitantly gulped. Nodding my head, "What do you mean you can control water?" Contemplating what to say I decided to go with the simplest explanation and show him. I close my eyes and let my powers resurface. The group gasps in a mixture of fear and awe when the water in the room rises with a wave of my hand. Water bubbles dance across the room before I freeze them solid. Suddenly I clasped my hands together and the water steamed away. "You know if you're kind didn't have such a bad rep you'd be pretty lit." Wyatt gasped in almost approval, but the words 'your kind' doesn't sit well with me.

      "Don't get things construed, Ravenna and I may be cursed, but we are not the same." I vowed in disgust. "She's a tyrant and my only goal is to stop her."

"If yah are like Ravenna, why is she after yah?" Ty crossed his arms in front of his chest in distrust. He doesn't believe Ravenna wants my head.

"Ravenna doesn't like things she can't control, and she will never be able to control me."

"So, you aren't going to harm us?" Ashley meekly asked her eyes never leaving the floor. Her body trembles uncontrollably. I reached my hand toward her, but quickly snatched it away after I thought about what I was doing. These people don't want to be your friend, they just want to make sure you won't kill them.

      "No. I've done some terrible things in my past. I'm haunted by my mistakes." My mind begins to wander down a dark cold path. It reminds me of what I did while I was trapped by Ravenna's rule. Not wanting to scare them off, so soon I closed my eyes and changed direction a little. "Have I always stepped in to help people like you from Ravenna's army, no. I know when I'm out numbered, and I try to pick my battles. But I will never harm an innocent human. I hope you believe me when I say I'm not working with or for Ravenna. She took the thing I loved most away from this world." My voice catches as my mind races back to my parents. "Then she broke me, but eventually I got back up. I was trained by her. I don't know how to end this war yet, but I will." In the end I hear the confidence and determination rise in my voice. I almost believed what I was saying, but deep down I fear I am no match for Ravenna's deadly powers.

      "We're in." Matt shrugged calmly. My jaw drops to the floor. Is he serious? He can't be serious. Who in their right mind would want to stick around after all that? Is he crazy? Am I in the right story? Am I having a weird dream nightmare combo? Wyatt and Ashley are looking at each other in shock while Ty and Matt's eyes are locked together. Having a conversation through the air that none of us can hear. Eventually Ty nods his head and Matt looks at me.