Chapter 3

My sons and their wives were stunned. I guessed they had never thought of it that way. They thought we're granted with a hefty sum and numerous treasures, surely the amount could help sustain our family forever.

"We cannot protect our money. We are not even making good use of our money."

"I can start doing business," my second son cried excitedly. His eyes shone with greed.

"Can you read or write?" I asked. "Are you sure you can sign contracts without being scammed?"

"I... I can learn."

"At the ripe old age of thirty three?" I asked with a smile. "If you want to learn, you have thirty long years before you to learn. Did you?"

Second son sank back into his chair.

"For our family to survive, what do you think we need? Silver?"

"Someone who is literate to go into business?" he asked scratching his head.

"Anyone?"

A hand shot up into the air. I didn't know who she was. It's a miracle I could memorise my grandchildren's name and their sequence. I could not link the name to the face.

"Please."

"For a family to prosper, for a family to have power and favors from the Emperor, we have to have family members working in the government," this unknown granddaughter of mine said.

I nodded. "Do you know why the Emperor dislikes us?"

They shuddered at the word.

"Because he thinks we're not civilized. We are like a sore thumb sticking out in his court. He did not like that. We need to change."

"So in the end we have to study?" second son asked.

"Do you think you can?" I asked with a smile. "Our future lies in the children."

Second son let out a sigh.

I rolled my eyes. The two elder sons were unsavable. The only thing I could do was prevent them from becoming obstacles.

"Then what are you planning to do?"

"You'll know when the times come." I answered mysteriously. "There's another matter we have to sort out. Bring him in."

The servants carried the tied up first son in.

The wife and concubines of my first son shrieked. They attempted to rush forward to save their tied up husband, but they were stopped by the servants surrounding them.

"Do you know what he did?" I took a sip of tea from the tea cup. "He had a fight with the son of a baron. If by chance he injured him permanently, or he killed him, what would happen to us? He's the son of a baron, what about you?"

The first son struggled, trying to shout out words through the cloth tied around his mouth.

"You want to say you're the son of the man who saved the Emperor? Ah you missed the lesson just now. Let me tell you again, you're just the son of a butcher. Nothing more nothing less." I smiled. "I can tolerate your gambling, your lavish spending, but this time I would not tolerate. You're a risk to our family."

"I will give you two choices. If you want to stay in the capital, you'll be sent to the monastery." He widened his eyes in shock.

What? Only girls could be sent to the temples? Men could too.

"Second choice," I said. "I gave you a sum of money each month, but you will have to leave the capital. You'll be sent to the west. You can continue with the style you are enjoying now."

He nodded his head fervently. I knew he would choose the second choice. What he did not know was that the town I had chosen for him was at the far west, defintiely not as fun as the captial. The amount I gave him monthly would definitely make him a well respected gentry.

"If you get into anymore troubles, you'll be banished from the family. Don't you dare to think you can go behind my back. I have spies." I smiled brightly, showing my teeth.

I snapped my fingers. Servants pulled him up.

"You're setting out now. Don't worry about your children, I will take good care of them. They're the future of our family. Bye. Don't try to run away if you still want to live lavishly!"

With that the servants pulled him out of the living room.

I turned to his wife and concubines. "I will also give you two choice. Follow him or stay here?"

In the end, his concubines followed him, but surprisingly, his wife chose to stay in the capital.

"Problems solved. Dismissed." I waved my hand as I walked back to my room, leaving them behind.

-----------------------

"Send out a family to spy on the first master. Choose someone who can write. Ask them to write a report monthly. Give them some money to do their own business if they agree with this plan."

Sparrow nodded.

I wrote something on a piece of paper and gave it to Sparrow. "Start preparing tomorrow."

Before I slept, I browsed the VR game panel. As expected. No change at all.

Just when could our splendor increased?