Chapter 1 - When you wish upon a star

It was another average day in the solar system

Well, technically there weren't days, since it was different for every terrestrial there—but that doesn't matter. It was just as boring as it usually was.

Sure, the solar system was beautiful and unique and intriguing, but when you've lived in it for all of your existence? You kind of get used to it after a few million years.

Plus, interesting things only happen across the span of hundreds of thousands of years; unless something crashes into another thing. That's a lot of time to wait!

Pluto stood in the kuiper belt, staring off into space. He just wished that things would be less boring all the time.

He continued to stargaze, his empty thoughts starting to consume him. He wanted a change, for the better. He knew nobody would believe in him, though. He's just a dwarf planet. But that's not all, he's an ex-planet. How embarrassing.

Pluto just sighed. He looked at one of the brightest stars in the big sky he had been admiring and remembered one of the things that Charon had told him.

——————————————————————————

"Hey Pluto! Did you know that you can wish on a star? It's true! Just look at the brightest one and wish on it! It works for me at least."

Pluto cocked an eyebrow. "Erm... source?"

"Trust me bro."

"... Uhm okay? But-"

"Oh, and you just say a little rhyme!" Charon seemed really excited about this.

"A rhyme? Charon, we aren't children."

"Oh come on, it's not that childish! Here, I'll even sing it to you-"

"No, CHARON I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT-"

"Starlight, star bri-"

"LALALALALALALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENINGGGG" Pluto slowly drifted away from Charon, although he could still hear her voice perfectly well over his yells.

——————————————————————————

"Ugh I can't believe I'm doing this..." Pluto closed his eyes. "Starlight, star bright, first star I see tonight: I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight."

He opened his eyes back up. "... This was stupid."

~Time skip~

"Plutooo! Plutoooooo~ PLUTO." Charon yelled out Pluto's name as he just continued floating, ignoring her.

Charon groaned in frustration. "Plooty, I know you took my advice! I can sense it!!! Who's childish now, huh??" She seemed pretty insistent that he had used her "wish upon a star" technique, and although she was right, Pluto was still annoyed.

"Uuuggghhhh, Charon why are you so stubbo...wait." Pluto stopped for a moment and listened to his surroundings.

"ᴬᴬᴬᴬᴬᴬᴬᴬᴬAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

Pluto quickly dashed to the side as he was almost pummelled with a giant, flying terrestrial object. Charon turned to look at him, and he looked like he had just seen a ghost. I mean, he was almost killed by something practically 4x the size of him, of course he'd be terrified.

"Wha- what the... what was that?!" He was absolutely petrified. He was just inches away from death's door at that moment, what even was that anyway? Or... who even was that?

"How should I know? We should go check on it!" She desperately wanted a chance to hang out with Pluto, and these were one of those chances.

Pluto sighed. "I... okay, fine." He began floating towards where the object had landed. "YIPPEE!!" Charon beamed, following him close behind.

They both made their way towards the...thing that had previously sped by them. As it slowly got closer in eyeshot, they could finally make out what the thing was. It looked like... a planet.

Pluto curiously looked over the planet. It seemed to be unconscious, unlike previously, when it was just screaming its head off while being thrown through space. It was a green-blue colour, sort of similar to Titan. Charon looked over as well, admiring the colour and size of the planet.

Charon squealed in excitement. "Pluto! It's- it's a planet! You guys could be total besties!" She nudged against Pluto. "Okay Charon, calm down, we've barely interacted yet! They almost killed me, maybe we should just get to know them first." Pluto looked back at the planet, a bit concerned at the fact that it was just flying through space. How did it even get here? He didn't know. It looked like an exoplanet of sorts.

He finally considered that he should probably wake them up, so he moved a bit closer. Slowly but surely, his gravity towards the other planet increased, and-

"AAAAAAAAA...what the fu-" "OOOOKAY! You're finally awake, woww!" Pluto retreated back to his original standing position, a bit startled from the sudden scream.

The exoplanet's eyes darted around, looking in ten different directions at once. They obviously didn't know where they were, though both Pluto and Charon wouldn't be able to give a very good answer to their questions, as they had just popped out of nowhere.

"Where am I?!"
"Who are you??"
"Am- am I dead?"
"What happened?"
"Why am I here?!"

They were very on edge, and every little movement made would freak them out. Pluto attempted to calm them down. "Hey, hey, hey... just relax, take a chill pill! Let's just try to figure out what's going on, okay? We don't know more than you do, alright exoplanet?" He gave a supporting smile at them.

The planet thought for a moment, but after a few seconds their face stiffened up. "I have a name! I'm not just an object!" They seemed quite mad about how he decided to separate their kind from his, although they were actually different. He was just a dwarf planet.

"Wait, I didn't mean-"Before Pluto could finish his sentence, the planet ran off.

934 words