• | e i g h t | •

•-18-•

I sat on the grass under the shade , panting and sweating. This military training will take my life someday. 50 pushups without break and then running 500 metre.

/Are we joking here?/

''Ok! Water break!" Said the Coach or whoever he is .

A girl in cloak came with water in a tray. I instantly recognised her, it's Alice. After serving others, she extended the tray towards me. While taking the bottle I asked, "So, you work here?"

She nodded a Little, I muttered a small thank you.

_________

I sat in my room, staring at the blank sky, still don't know what the task is that I came here. It's just hard to find, I mean nothing unusual is happening.

/You're saying this like you have been living here for a long time./

Shaking off my thoughts, I went out , the orange sky was looking beautiful, sun was setting. I went to the backyard. Yeah! Right guess. To the kitchen. This time there were only few ladies cause it's still much time left for the dinner. These people are too narrow minded related to genders and castes. I don't know how am I surviving here.

This time I don't wanted to go there, they'll probably think of me as a creep and throw me out with slippers.

So I stood by the window, waited for Alice to look at me or the window. After few minutes she did and I instantly signed her to come outside.

She looked shocked when she found me. But nodded anyways after making sure no one was looking at her. She whispered something to a lady, standing beside her and came outside. The first thing she did was to pull me aside.

"Why were you standing there , what if someone saw you?"
She asked in, fear lacing in her voice.

"Chill nothing would've happened!" I said throwing my arm around her shoulder but noticing her uncomfortable face I pulled it back, scratching the back of head and laughed in awkwardness.

"I was bored so I thought, we should hangout.....?" I suggested, she frowned.

"What is hangout? Are we going to hang somewhere." She said looking terrified a bit.

I laughed nervously

/How can I forget that they don't know advanced English. I'll get myself killed for saying stupid for sure./

''It means we will go out together and probably have some fun."

She looks a bit confused so I asked, "what happened?"

"You are different, I mean girls and boys are not supposed to talk to eachother. But looks like you don't care about it, you don't even practice untouchability or get disgusted by me cause I'm a relish and you are from a high class and rich family." She said

This saddened me, I shrugged trying to play cool. How am I supposed to tell her I didn't knew these things.

"Leave it! Let's go. We should explore the markets." I said, she shaked her head in denial.

"You forgot I'm a relish, I'll not get entry in the market." She said showing me a mark on her wrist.

Written on- 27 Feb, 2024

Published on- 3 April, 2024