Chapter 6: Not a Goblin

'This is what dreams are made of.' I can't help but sigh in bliss as I put another cream puff on my little serving plate.

"My lady, would you like an hors d'oeuvre?" A servant's voice makes me whip my head around, a black serving platter held in his hands with drinks.

"Sure! What is it?" I question, the pretty red drink piquing my interest.

"It is a fruit cocktail, my lady," he bows slightly.

'Fruit? Don't mind if I do!' Though I wasn't much of a drinker, I decided that tonight I was going to try and enjoy myself.

Grabbing one off of the platter, I look back at the servant. "Thank you!"

His eyebrows raise in surprise at that, before he nods his head. "Of course, my lady."

'The poor man has probably rarely heard a thank you in his life. I guess they take status and ranking very seriously here,' I couldn't help but sigh at the thought, sipping absentmindedly on the fruity concoction.

I didn't realize I was staring off into space, until I heard a loud, grating voice a few feet away from me.

"Ugh! This cocktail is disgusting! There is hardly any hint of alcohol, it just tastes like juice!" Lady Annabeth's lovely voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Take this drink back and tell whoever in the kitchen who made this to do better, servant!" I turn to my left and notice her fuming at the poor man.

The servant takes a deep bow. "Of course, Lady Annabeth. My deepest apologies."

Lady Annabeth scoffs, slamming the drink back down on the platter, causing some of it to spill and make a mess. She cackles. "Better clean that up, too," before turning on her heels and joining the group of ladies laughing.

My heart broke a little for the servant. I had never seen someone treat anybody so cruelly on purpose before.

'I think the drink tastes fine,' I say as I stuff the cream puff in my mouth before downing the rest of the fruity drink.

'Though, I should probably watch my intake. Getting drunk in a castle I don't know with so many nobles doesn't seem like the best idea.' I decided to grab some water, instead of going for round two with the cocktails, unfortunately.

———

"I know you did not just do that to me." I hear a devilish voice next to my shoulders.

Spinning around, Eliza's left eye begins to twitch.

"Hahahahaha...oh heyyy, what are you doing here?"

I chuckle nervously, shoving a fruit tart in my mouth so it bought me time to come up with an excuse.

Eliza's right eye begins to twitch now, too.

"That man you pushed me into was a marquess. Henry Maxwell, the son of the Duke of Maxwell." She snatches a pastry off of my plate, taking an angry chomp into it.

"Perfect! Sounds like a good pairing!" A marquees? King Therasis would be ecstatic! She pauses mid bite and narrows her eyes at me before shoving the rest into her mouth.

Eliza sighs. "Well...he was very nice. BUT! That was very embarrassing."

"I'm sure he didn't think anything of it. Besides, I didn't see him go running for the hills," I wave her off.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" She argues before she cuts herself off.

"Whatever. Anyways, apparently he came with his friend who has taken a keen interest in you." It is Eliza's turn to look amused.