Better

Morgan was preparing for her classes, and she had the directory open in front of her. She studied her course docket and checked the location of her classes on the campus map. Unfortunately, the school was still undergoing renovations, which had been delayed due to the weather. As a result, Morgan would have to walk through the Plum Pavilion to get to some of her classes.

One class that she was not looking forward to attending was literature, which was the last class of the day and, surprisingly, the last class of the week. It was scheduled for Friday mornings at 9 am, which was late enough for her to avoid The Banshee. The class ended early enough for her to take a leisurely walk through the heart of Downtown.

The markets and vendors have stepped up their presence since the campus exploded with enrollment last year. The city hosted a cooking competition, and a few well-known chefs happened to come to see the spectacle, so much culture and an abundance of flavors and smells, from the odd to the opulent, Morgan was surrounded with inspiration.

Morgan tossed her bag over her shoulder and made her way into the student market to pick up scantrons, before heading to the recreational area. Owen was already there and waiting. His hands crossed neatly in his lap as he sat on the bench listening to his favorite shows. Owen wasn't very open to different music genres until he met Morgan. They met as lab partners in Owens' third semester and have been inseparable since. The first time they met, Morgan was sitting in the wrong seat, she was supposed to be seated at the next table ahead of him.

His presence was not only known simply by sitting, but even his stature and style were so streamlined and polished, that he introduced himself swiftly with humorous poise. Morgan didn't feel nervous being next to him, she made it easy for him to do the same. Even when holding his hand out for her to shake it, he didn't lose that confidence.

She remembered laughing to herself at his colorful cloud-shaped sunglasses. They had these fine Spiga chains hanging down with colorful little raindrops, and lightning bolts dangling from the ends that rested in front of his cheeks. He loved her reaction and offered her a pair. Stunned, she watched as he reached into his bag pulled out a matching pair in yellow, and happily handed them over to his new friend. She laughed with genuine happiness as she placed them on her face. They've been thick as thieves ever since.

Morgan was elated to see him, and glad that they both decided to go back and finish their education. People don't last long in the city if they aren't working or in school.

"Miss Akaini, is that you, I see?" Owen moved his black cat eye shades with his index finger, sliding the brim to his nose, so his eyes could see over the top.

"'Tis, 'tis!" She responded enthusiastically, "I come bearing gifts, one fine collection of macaroons from Sisa and Lisa's!"

Owen loved macaroons, especially Sisa and Lisa's. He aspired to work there once he graduated, and eventually become a menu designer for high-end confectionery shops.

"You spoil me, how on earth did you get these?!" Owen graciously accepted his goodies and hugged Morgan tight. "You know you have to eat half."

"No way, I got these for you and Harvey to share, your anniversary is tomorrow, I wouldn't dare forget." Morgan watched Owen's face as he opened the box. All their favorite flavors were inside. Morgan appreciated Owen far more than he would ever know, she knew she could count on him and Harvey to be there for her.

"Also, I know I still owe Harvey money for last week, I should have it by the end of shift tomorrow." She stated as she placed her bag back on her shoulder.

"Are you kidding!? These sweets are going to make his week!! He couldn't get the reservations in time, so as far as I'm concerned," He pats her head and looks her in the eyes "You're even, Steven!"

Morgan was happy to have her hard work acknowledged by people who care about her. Owen and Harvey are a part of the rare handful she trusts. They linked arms and walked to class together, talking about the new recipes they wanted to try in class later.

Meanwhile: on the other side of campus in the staff lot, Nikolai is admiring the architecture of the new building where his literature class has been relocated. It sits at the end of the pavilion, in the back left corner. The newly planted foliage will surely inspire art students and botanists alike in the wintertime. He especially loved the view from His office, it overlooked the courtyard and the tranquil fountain, though he'd be further from his car, he was comfortable with the distance if it meant he could enjoy viewing nature.