Wattpad độc quyền
Còn 1 chương miễn phí

Ch. 29: Defiance

Rhys

The Tournament schedules I was supposed to amend and approve looked like incomprehensible chemistry formulas to my addled brain. I'd been fuzzy on and off ever since my abduction, but now I couldn't tell if it was stress or the poison making me unable to make sense of basic events, dates, and times. One thing that wasn't causing this, however, was a fatal blood or bone disease. I'd received the results in my medical chart this morning, and it revealed that I was healthy, my blood normal, but slightly low on iron. The doctor recommended iron supplements or "the consumption of a large mammal during this next full moon." I wasn't sure how I'd pull that off seeing as though I'd agreed not to be a participant in the tournament. Hunting was the last thing on my mind. I put a note in my phone to stop at the pharmacy after work.

As for the presence of poison, the bloodwork I'd had done wasn't very telling. "Many poisons are in and out of your body relatively quickly," the doctor wrote in her notes on the test results. "But the effects can last much longer or may end up being permanent."

After reading my doctor's notes, the tournament schedule went from complicated to incomprehensible. I couldn't force my brain to function the way it was supposed to. Usually, this would be the moment that I would set work aside and head up to the rooftop for some fresh air and invigorating views. Now, however, the rooftop was contaminated with memories of dashed hopes and familial betrayal. Not only that, but I also didn't want to leave the office, even for a minute. Calla was being kept busy by her mother and mainly over in Crown, shopping and planning and shopping some more for the union ceremony. She was away from work more than she was here, but today, Jane told me she'd be coming in for a bit. How much time "a bit" would be, Jane didn't seem to know.

"Her schedule was blocked off this morning," Jane said. "It just says 'off site.' But she has a meeting with Gerald at noon, so my guess is she's expected here by then."

I texted Calla, letting her know I was hoping to see her, then paced the room until the constant turns made me dizzy. I was just eying the couch, wondering if eleven in the morning was too early for a nap when the door opened and in walked Calla, bringing with her a whoosh of sadness and confusion.

"What's wrong?" I asked, rushing over to her and feeling my own rush of happiness as she enthusiastically sunk herself into my chest. I put my arms around her and squeezed her close.

"Gerald sent me on a surprise mission to meet with Vicki, one on one."

"Holy shit."

"Yes, it was so great to catch up—as though we'd never spent a day apart. Just two peas in a pod."

"That bad, huh?" I kissed her on the top of her head.

"She said some reassuring things that broke from the line she was delivering during her press conference but they're only comforting if you trust her, and I don't. I'm not sure I ever will again."

"That's probably for the best. I bet it stings though."

"Like I just ran over a ground nest with a lawnmower."

"Did she come to deliver a message from Humankind First?"

"It seemed like she came without them even knowing about it. Hard to say for sure, though. I'd suspect they have someone always watching her, especially after Tobias's article came out with pictures of her and Henry Fowling."

"So...no message then."

"No. There's no official or even unofficial move on their part to thwart the violence that could erupt soon. But she did have information."

"About?"

She bit her lower lip as she studied my face. "We should sit down for this next bit."

Her hand felt warm and soft as she held it gently and led me to the couch in the corner of our office. "You were definitely poisoned," Calla said. "Vicki was aware that they'd abducted a werewolf and given him a serum but didn't know it was you specifically."