XXIV

"Time will make it worse! You're...the other half of his soul. He's never going to get over you. And no matter how much you hope that you will... you'll never get over him. You're going to wake up one day and realize what you've done, and you're going to regret the time you wasted apart from him for the rest of your life." Jamie McGuire, Providence

---- 

XXIV.

Lily was certain that her face lacked all composure as she felt the blood drain from it. Sir Richard, on the other hand, looked positively delighted as he took in her appearance in their current environment. It was certainly a far cry from Callan's cramped office.

He had called her 'my lady'. Her identity was known by every person in this ballroom with or without a formal introduction. Everyone knew that she was the daughter of the Duke of Ashwood. Everyone knew that she was Lady Cecily Beresford. And now Sir Richard knew that Lily Bennett was an invented charade. It only took seconds of looking at the devious smile on the man's face to know that he was the last person Lily would have wanted to discover the truth.

Sir Richard then looked to Ed, who appeared quite confused at the way the man was looking at Lily. Thankfully though, he was quite distracted by Sir Richard, and hadn't looked upon Lily until she had had a moment to compose herself.

"Lord Evesham, it is good to see you again."

"The Season is always a delightful time to be in town," Ed replied, though he did not sound as chipper and cheerful as Sir Richard.

"Might I trouble you for an introduction. I do not believe the lady and I are acquainted." The emphasis that Sir Richard placed on the word 'lady' sent a shiver down Lily's spine, and it felt very familiar to the uncomfortable fear she had felt upon being in Sir Richard's presence the first time.

Lily wanted nothing less than to be formally acquainted with him, secret or not.

Ed laughed uncomfortably. "I do believe the responsibility of introductions ought to fall to the lady's father," he murmured, before muttering, "and you are old enough to be her father," under his breath.

"Shall we go and speak to your father then, my lady? I do believe I heard about a substantial investment he made in the business of an old friend of mine. I should love to chat to him about it." Sir Richard was goading her. Had he no propriety?

What a stupid question. Any man who would accost a woman as Sir Richard had done lacked any sort of decency. The man wore his name well. He was a frog if she ever saw one.

"It is alright, Lord Evesham," Lily said, addressing Ed formally. "Please, introduce us."

Ed's brows furrowed before he obliged Lily. "Sir Richard Frogmore, may I introduce you to Lady Cecily Beresford. My lady, Sir Richard Frogmore."

Sir Richard bowed deeply, and the action felt nothing short of insulting. He was making a show of Lily's panic. Such a fanciful introduction drew the attention of many surrounding them. Before Lily could stop him, Sir Richard had seized her hand and was pressing his foul lips against her knuckles.

It was Lily's instinct to turn her nose up in disgust, and her stomach flipped over inside of her. The feel of his touch made her feel ill, and she was brought right back to that moment of powerlessness that she had felt in his presence. It did not matter that in this moment Lily outranked him. Sir Richard and his smarmy smile did not seem to care about that fact not one iota.

When his cold eyes found hers again, he grinned. "I am delighted to make your acquaintance, my lady. I feel –"

But Sir Richard could not finish his sentence, which would have no doubt been something taunting meant to frighten Lily. He could not finish because they were joined by Lily's parents, and the protective arm of her father that wound around her immediately settled Lily.