four | shining water

Aphrodite

Seeing as the Greeks were not invited to the pre-Ball get-together in Spain, Achilles figured we would have not been working if we went, so he kicked us kids out to "have fun." 

Ares wanted to protest this, but Achilles had literally locked us out. I volunteered to climb the roof and drop into the chimney, but Atlas objected. Athena told me to go for it. 

Before I could, though, Alastor grabbed onto my arm and said, "Yeah, no. We won't have any fun if you're caught." 

Instead of breaking in, the six of us hopped into an armored car and our security team drove us down the rode to Achilles' private beach. 

Luckily there were already swimsuits and towels in the back. Achilles must have told them to take us here. 

I sit on a flowery pink towel, Athena next to me. She's braiding my hair into some sort of updo. "This is going to look so lovely!" She squeals. 

I don't doubt her. Athena's skills with hair are marvelous. For every event and mission I've been on, she's always been creating masterpieces out of my curls. 

I glance over at the boys from time to time. They're all wrapped up in a competitive game of football. 

Once Apollo kicked the ball over to us, and it nearly smacked me in the face. Ares looked like he was ready to murder his own blood brother, and my brothers would going to help. 

Sometimes when I look over, I see Ares staring at me. 

He misses the ball because of it. 

"You imbecile!" Apollo shouts as the ball rolls into their goal. He pokes Ares' head. "Is there a brain in there? Hello? Mr. Head-in-the-Clouds?" 

Ares rolls his eyes. "Stop being so competitive. It's a harmless game."

Apollo practically chokes. "I— me? You... huh?!" 

Ares pats his shoulder. "Exactly. I'm so glad we see eye-to-eye." 

Athena claps excitedly and stands up behind me. "Wow. I'm so impressed with myself," She sighs dreamily. 

I reach up and feel the braid. It's a bun, my hair intricately weaved into each other. It's wispy and romantic and lovely. "You should be," I smile, standing up as well. 

She takes my hand. "Come on, Rory. Let's go swim!" 

I stand up and follow her past our brothers and to the vibrant ocean. I stand near the water, my toes digging into the wet sand. 

Athena has already jumped in. "Oh, Rory. The water is lovely. Really, you should join." She winks at me, floating around near the shore. 

I stick one foot in, then immediately jerk it back out. "Ah! It's freezing!" I shriek, backing away. It's boiling outside. Couldn't the heat have transferred into the sea? 

Athena laughs. "Please! I don't want to swim alone! What if a... shark gets me?" 

"The big bad assassin is afraid of a shark?"

"Well, wouldn't you be?" 

Suddenly I'm swept off my feet and into someone's arms. I can't even see who it is before I'm spun around and flung into the chilly water. 

I land right next to Athena, nearly landing on top of her. She laughs as I emerge. I throw daggers at Alastor, who's innocently smirking, swimming out to us, Apollo near him. 

"Wasn't that fun?" He asks me. 

"I'll get hypothermia thanks to you. Imbecile. I have half the mind to go stab you in your sleep."