Chapter 11

The garden was brimming with energy, people running around, setting up lights, adjusting dresses and model's poses as the photographer, Michale, took test photos, adjusting the settings and shouting encouraging phrases at the models as he ran around, adjusting his angle. 

"BEAUTIFUL! KEEP THAT POSE!" CLICK. CLICK. CLICK

"YOU ARE A WARRIOR QUEEN!" CLICK. CLICK. CLICK

"Tilt your body slightly so we can see the back of the dress— YES! PERFECT!" CLICK. CLICK. CLICK

Watching the photographer run around at top speed, his energy far more energetic than the bright flashes of his camera, left me smiling as I followed Allie, taking mental notes as she adjusted outfits, checked the test photos to assure the clothing was being properly showcased. 

She was all business, tone clipped as she spoke to everyone, sending them running to fix, adjust and complete whatever task that needed to be done. A fifteen year old girl worked with several assistants, adjusting one of the dresses on the model, her long black hair pulled up in a messy ponytail as she worked. She seemed like the only one who wasn't afraid of Allie, other than Michale, the photographer. 

The fifteen year old jogged up to Allie, all smiles. "I was nominated to come tell you that the model didn't get a chance to eat breakfast this morning and the others are worried she is going to faint."

Allie sighed. "Make sure she eats, Iz. Skipping a meal when you are going to be standing in the sun for hours on end is a terrible idea. Just—"

"Wrap a tarp around her and spoon feed her? On it!" the girl named Iz replied running back. 

Allie watched her go, smiling. "She'll have my job someday." 

Then as everything seemed to fall into a busy rhythm, Allie turned to me. "So, let's talk dates." 

"For the next shoot?" I asked hopefully.

She gave me a flat stare. "Date as in going out with another human." 

I sighed. "I haven't started that one yet Allie."

Allie settled down in a chair in the shade, eyes on the shoot happening in the garden around us. "That's fine. You were bonding by splattering them with paint yesterday. I wasn't expecting you to have figured this out in the twelve hours since then."

She turned to look at me. "So we'll break this down. Make it less intimidating. A small homework assignment." I raised a brow, waiting for her to continue.

"I want you to make a list of guys you'd like to go out with. You can use dating apps. Or just list people you'd like to get to know better."

My face burned at the idea. "I..." 

She smiled. "I know. It's scary." The words weren't sarcastic, or amused. They were full of understanding. "That's why we start small. A conversation over coffee. A walk through a park. We've got to build up your confidence. Make you feel comfortable in your own skin. And the best way to do that is to build up an immunity to the idea of dates so you aren't so scared." 

I wanted to burrow into the bush of roses next to me and hide. "Can we skip this one?" I asked hopefully. 

Allie's smile turned amused. "Sure. If you'd rather kiss a stranger on New Years Eve instead of someone you've gotten to know."

"No thank you," I said, shaking my head wildly. "I'll just..." I trailed off at the sight of Laurence making his way through the garden toward us. Women looked up from their work, seeming to freeze for a beat at the sight of him. I didn't blame them. Laurence was beautiful.